Dee Lusby's secret of resistant bees...DNA

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I cannot inspect a hive with less than two stings - gloveless - then they are destined to be requeened ASAP. And if they sting me less than that but do it regularly, I requeen them. Ditto runny bees, ditto following bees, ditto bees that greet you upon opening up.

My guess is that 50% of the hives I inspect which are not my own would be requeened based on my standards.

I have seen some really horrible bees and requeened them - which turned out to be relatively easy - thank goodness.

I have seen some of the hives beginners have bought - the temperament was bad and an utter disgrace.

And then I see photos of German bees and people viewing in T shirt and shorts...

Sorry, I just couldn't stop myself from posting this. From a 2009 "Treatment Free" conference. This is the last time I spoke to their group. Just couldn't stand any more of their bologna. Right to left...Sam Comfort (Anarchy Apiaries), Ramona Herboldsheimer (Co-Author The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping), Eric Osterlund (Elgon bee creator and one of the good beekeepers in the group), Dee Lusby in all her glory, Deknow Stiglitz (Co-Author "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping), Micheal Bush, And....
Thought you might like to put faces to the names.

Attachments

• DSC_1153.JPG
    DSC_1153.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 93
Some might appreciate this post I copied from BeeSource. Sayonara Baby...

Hey all, I have an announcement.
Been waiting a while to do this, I figure the New Year is as good a time as any.
I'm done beekeeping.
This has been a long time coming. I had considered quitting 5-6 years ago but I always thought I had something to prove with treatment-free beekeeping. Here's the thing. You can never prove anything, except to yourself. Just look at the huge anti-science movement in this country today. Well, I am finally to the point in my own personal journey and maturity that I have nothing to prove anymore. Therefore, no reason to continue beekeeping. As I told you all so many times in the podcast, have fun keeping bees, because if you're not having fun, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
I will be leaving this group in the capable hands of Michael Cox and company, as it has been for the last nine months or so, as that's when I quit participating.
The podcast will remain in place until it is no longer financially viable. I have one more episode that needs published, and then probably a goodbye episode.
I will be taking down the online forum as it has never had more than a few dozen members and costs monthly fees which I have supported for years.
The YouTube channel will remain in place. I still have more videos to post and will do that at some point, probably.
I will also begin the process of liquidating my equipment and my bees. For anybody interested in small cell comb, I have a lot of it, lots of small cell frames, boxes medium and deep, many of them with many years of use remaining, plenty of stuff is still brand new.
I will probably take my website down as well, the only thing it's still doing for me is directing people to email me with questions, which I am no longer comfortable answering.
It has been a long journey. As some of you know, I started this group when I was abused horrifically at the hands of users and moderators and owner at BeeSource. I never thought this group to grow to be one of the largest beekeeping groups on Facebook. I'm proud of that. I found my people, for a time. I thought there would be a few hundred, but here we are at over 48,000 members. I thank you for all your participation and your efforts in making the world a better place, which was the purpose of this whole endeavor. Keeping bees in a more natural way was one of my small techniques of doing that. I offered myself as an expert and was given the opportunity of traveling this large and interesting country to talk to you folks.
But I also spent uncountable hours doing work that while enjoyable and fulfilling at the time, led nowhere. I spent uncountable hours answering dishonest questions, fending off trolls (some of which called my phone to accuse me of nasty things). I took heaps of abuse from every possible angle and platform. I still feel bad for the poor guy on Twitter whose name is @solomonparker for all the abuse he took from the trolls.
I just have nothing to prove anymore. That's it. That's all. As usual, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have before I show myself to the door.
Sincerely,
Solomon Parker

If I cannot inspect a hive with less than two stings - gloveless - then they are destined to be requeened ASAP. <snip>

How long after re-queening before you expect to see an improvement in temperament?

It's so sad that Solomon is giving up, he is a real pioneer, he will be missed.
I find it sad that as a beekeeping group we find it hard to tolerate other peoples point of view and sad that any beekeeper should think of giving up due to the abuse received by other beekeepers.

It's so sad that Solomon is giving up, he is a real pioneer, he will be missed.
I find it sad that as a beekeeping group we find it hard to tolerate other peoples point of view and sad that any beekeeper should think of giving up due to the abuse received by other beekeepers.
Sad indeed.

How long after re-queening before you expect to see an improvement in temperament?

No fixed answer. In some cases, virtually immediate.
But our allotment had a LARGE (2 x brood box plus super) hive which was so bad it was basically uninspectable without two layers of clothing. So requeened it using the move boxes to one side, empty box in space, bleed off old bees.
Left for three weeks . Still bad. Left another three - (this was summer so all original bees dead) and as pleasant as could be.

No fixed answer. In some cases, virtually immediate.
:iagree: I remember a hive at the association apiary, it's default setting, even before you cracked the crownboard was an angry roar. Went in one day, found the old queen and despatched her than immediately put in a new queen and it was like someone suddenly turning the volume button down. By the time the roof was back on all you could hear was a contented hum where before the apiary was a no go area until the following day..

Last time the bee inspector visited she opened up a colony and they were good as gold. I stepped up next to her and suddenly they were all over me, aggressive as anything. I had to walk about 100 yards away before they stopped following me, whilst all the time she was happily standing at the hive inspecting it. Next time I opened them up they were fine.

I must have smelled funny or something (yeah, yeah, you can keep quiet at the back there).

James

Last time the bee inspector visited she opened up a colony and they were good as gold. I stepped up next to her and suddenly they were all over me, aggressive as anything. I had to walk about 100 yards away before they stopped following me, whilst all the time she was happily standing at the hive inspecting it. Next time I opened them up they were fine.

I must have smelled funny or something (yeah, yeah, you can keep quiet at the back there).

James
I used to be able to walk into one apiary and bees would comes from the furthest end and try to sting me. Just my presence was enough. Enough to give me a complex :cool:

Since requeened

Latest posts

Back