Dead, with tongue out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've spotted a few dead ones lately as you would expect. Most just seem to look normal-dead but saw two with the tongues out. One was in February and the other one today in March.
I find that the tongue out could be a sign of pesticide poisoning, but that's highly unlikely this time of year surely? In fact I don't think pesticides are used in my area at all.
I treated with oxalic acid (vaped) in January, they have had a pollen substitute pattie in Feb and are recently taking down fondant. I have clear crown board and they look to be thriving.

Is dead-with-tongue-out a sign of anything else, or it just another typical death-pose?

I've spotted a few dead ones lately as you would expect. Most just seem to look normal-dead but saw two with the tongues out. One was in February and the other one today in March.
I find that the tongue out could be a sign of pesticide poisoning, but that's highly unlikely this time of year surely? In fact I don't think pesticides are used in my area at all.
I treated with oxalic acid (vaped) in January, they have had a pollen substitute pattie in Feb and are recently taking down fondant. I have clear crown board and they look to be thriving.

Is dead-with-tongue-out a sign of anything else, or it just another typical death-pose?

Doesn't sound like starvation. Could possibly be the odd bee feeding on a toxic plant. Neonicotinoid pesticide is a strong contender as it persists in the soil for many years and will move with the flow of water to turn up where it's not expected.

I very much hope you have at least an inch of insulation on top of your bonny see through crown board?

A couple of bees with tongues out is nothing to worry about, a few hundred is.

PH

I very much hope you have at least an inch of insulation on top of your bonny see through crown board?

A couple of bees with tongues out is nothing to worry about, a few hundred is.

PH

The clear crownboard is 5mm polycarbonate.
Then 2" of kingspan with a cutout for fondant container. Then another 2" kingspan over that.
Four inches of the best possible insulation might seem a lot, but it's free offcuts from a building site and I have deep roof.
I think the insulation makes a great difference for colony build up in the spring.

What's with the "bonny" about the see through board? Are you poking fun or something?

Last edited:
What's with the "bonny" about the see through board? Are you poking fun or something?

No not at all............Scot & Northern English, dialect.

attractive or beautiful.
"a bonny lass"
synonyms: beautiful, attractive, handsome, pretty, gorgeous, good-looking, nice-looking, well favoured, fetching, prepossessing, ravishing, stunning;

I knew what the word meant, but thanks for your bonny little explanation.

https://beeinformed.org/2016/03/08/why-did-my-honey-bees-die/

Have a read of this, its an interesting read. Not sure if its your cause of hive loss but may be.

Hi Plenty of honey,
Thanks for posting the link, but I knew before! Happened to one of my colonies last year that was treated in autumn for varroa. However, reinfection was rife in my area last year. It is important that the generation that are to produce the winter bees is healthy, so early varroa treatment essential and checking for reinfection is essential too with the warm winters we are having. Parasitic Mite Syndrome... So, far all's well here...

Hi Plenty of honey,
Thanks for posting the link, but I knew before! Happened to one of my colonies last year that was treated in autumn for varroa. However, reinfection was rife in my area last year. It is important that the generation that are to produce the winter bees is healthy, so early varroa treatment essential and checking for reinfection is essential too with the warm winters we are having. Parasitic Mite Syndrome... So, far all's well here...

Glad to hear it, I have probably lost a couple like that, certainly I have fallen in to the trap of treating varroa too late.
I didn't treat at all last autumn, as it was so warm and was like so many, waiting for less brood in colonies, to hopefully get a better control.
However you learn, and from now on I will consider treating 3 possibly four times a year.
I currently have the Varrox vaporiser but may buy a better one that can do more hives quicker. Have to say the varrox is excellent , but as I am increasing my hive numbers. It will pay long term to go down the road of Sublimox or similar.
I have already treated in January and have some weak colonies, but also starvation issues. However, that's my fault. Another thing to tweek over the coming months.
Onwards and upwards in the sunshine!!

Had some dead with tongues out and found out avadex had been sprayed late last year to combat black grass.
It is absorbed by the soil so I guess the bees had been drinking from wet soil in that area. Only one hive of mine had any dead bees like that.

Carbamates will definitely do it. I'm impressed Nige that you got to the bottom of your dead outs. Did you have your bees analysed?

I am reading the MSDS and the word carbomate is not that I can see mentioned, nor is there a reference of deadly to bees. It's late, I am weary but the product is a herbicide.

Rethink?
PH

I am reading the MSDS and the word carbomate is not that I can see mentioned, nor is there a reference of deadly to bees. It's late, I am weary but the product is a herbicide.

Rethink?
PH

Would it not still be harmful to the bee if ingested? Especially if the water they are seeking out is saturated with it. There are little debates lately about this on facebook, but I'd rather get my facts here.

Carbamates will definitely do it. I'm impressed Nige that you got to the bottom of your dead outs. Did you have your bees analysed?

It wasn't a total dead out, just foragers. About 20% of total bees.
Avadex was the only chemical sprayed for 4 months so i guessed it was that.
All had their tongues out and had died in the hive.

My 2 lost colonies have both suffered queen failure with most bees absconding.

Black grass has become a real problem for farmers.
This year a break crop is being grown in some areas either field beans or sugar beet in my area BUT this is being done so the area can be sprayed with strong chemicals like avadex as the black grass is herbicide resistant.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back