Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

planbee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Two
I've been to carry out my weekly examination of a hive this morning, a bit early, because I'm going to be a bit "tucked up" next week, and I've found the queen laying on the floor of the hive, dead.

Not sure when this happened, I last saw her late on Sunday afternoon.

I thought the bee's were a bit tetchy when I started today - not like them, at all.

Unsure of what to do next, I've closed everything up, and come home.

I have two recently started nucs, adjacent to the hive, each with 3 frames populated.

My plan is, either to combine them, [do I dust both nuc populations with icing sugar?], and introduce the spare queen to the hive, or leave the hive to raise an emergency queen?

I have a plastic introduction cage, but don't know how to make the candy that it originally contained.

Soonest that I can get down there again, is tomorrow, after midday - your advice please, ladies and gents.

John

jon 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40-50
Have the recently started nucs got a mated queen in them?

sputnam 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Personally, I would leave them to it. As long as they have eggs or young larvae and food, they will produce a new queen. I you don't like her offspring, then you have plenty of time still this year to bump her off & use one from a nuc.

VEG 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
You can use marshmallow instead of fondant for the queen cage. :cheers2:

planbee 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Two
OK, that's decided, then.

I'll leave them to their own devices, and see how they get on.

And thanks for the advice about the Marshmallows, by the way, that's a very convenient way of getting a small amount of stuff for the job; and the little lad next door will get the surplus, no doubt, because I'm a diabetic!

John

Latest posts