Dead not dead big relief!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well up in FIFE, the past two weeks or so have been bitter cold and last few days heavy foot plus snow, I already thought a few weeks ago that 3 of my hives were past survival very light and quick peek under roof showed no sign of life, and fondant all taken able to see some bees further down but pretty torpid looking. I Added emergency fondant much more than thought they would take 12k slab per hive and further insulation at that time 3 weeks ago. Then with the colder temperatures and heavy snow I was not confident they would get there. So imagine my delight and relief today when checking the hives to find all three busy taking cleansing flights and orientation checks. Even more surprised to see some returning with bright orange pollen sacks . Fondant being well taken down probably about 5k left I know not out of the woods yet and will check on next still warming day in about 5 to 7 days to see if more fondant required but certainly much more happy they may make it after all 👍

Amazing creatures, pleased for you. Check when you can that the brood box is not over stuffed with fondant and stores, the queen needs laying room.

Amazing creatures, pleased for you. Check when you can that the brood box is not over stuffed with fondant and stores, the queen needs laying room.
Will do, I’m pretty sure lost the other three hives due to them using vastly more stores than last year and then starving , so I might have over added stores on remaining three but will check as you say when weather allows cheers for that 👍

Well up in FIFE, the past two weeks or so have been bitter cold and last few days heavy foot plus snow, I already thought a few weeks ago that 3 of my hives were past survival very light and quick peek under roof showed no sign of life, and fondant all taken able to see some bees further down but pretty torpid looking. I Added emergency fondant much more than thought they would take 12k slab per hive and further insulation at that time 3 weeks ago. Then with the colder temperatures and heavy snow I was not confident they would get there. So imagine my delight and relief today when checking the hives to find all three busy taking cleansing flights and orientation checks. Even more surprised to see some returning with bright orange pollen sacks . Fondant being well taken down probably about 5k left I know not out of the woods yet and will check on next still warming day in about 5 to 7 days to see if more fondant required but certainly much more happy they may make it after all 👍

Each hive has eaten 7kg of fondant in 3 weeks, in February? Blimey.

Anyway, good stuff, excellent news!

Latest posts

Back