Dead Drones!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are drones now flying and quite a lot. Not going to have chance of going in today. Is it too early for drones? I wonder if I have a DLQ? suppose I will find out when I look

There are drones now flying and quite a lot. Not going to have chance of going in today. Is it too early for drones? I wonder if I have a DLQ? suppose I will find out when I look

I have a little drone brood here, recently sealed. No drones. I would say it is early so a good idea to look.
Cazza

I have drone brood and someone i know has drones but it isn't a DLQ as they have checked.

Hi all,
I have some early drone brood too, for the first time. In drone cells, I hasten to add, to avoid any misunderstandings. I just wondered why you consider them 'young' Steve. If you mean that they are undersized then you probably have laying workers which changes the terms of your get out clause. Good luck.

Hi all,
I have some early drone brood too, for the first time. In drone cells, I hasten to add, to avoid any misunderstandings. I just wondered why you consider them 'young' Steve. If you mean that they are undersized then you probably have laying workers which changes the terms of your get out clause. Good luck.

I say young as they are not fully developed. I can see they are drones by their size and eyes. They have dragged them out for a reason but not sure why yet

About 50 capped drone cells in one colony. None in the other colony. If we guess 10 days until they hatch (range of 0 to 17 days) and another 10 days until they are ready to mate... looks like swarms in the middle of April.

I also have drone brood, about 15 cells.

I say young as they are not fully developed. I can see they are drones by their size and eyes. They have dragged them out for a reason but not sure why yet

Hi Steve,
That could be laying workers i.e. you are Q- or high varroa count better check it out.

Will check tomorrow as day off work and weather looks like it should be ok. Something doesnt seem right with that amount of drones. Why would varroa cause high drone numbers? I know queen was there and laying but come to think if it now, I did see capped drone cells but thought it was too early and was a very quick look so didnt think anymore about it.

I have some drones flying in a couple of hives and in the other walking around and all the hives with healthy amounts of drone brood.

The thing with the bees and the drones is a love hate thing goes on all year round and the drones can be ejected at any time especially if the bees have a problem or they are experiencing a more difficult time.

Went through my hives yesterday and I have drones just starting to emerge in 3 colonies and capped drone brood in the other 4. Think the mild and sunny weather the last couple of weeks has really given the bees a boost.

Reading back through my notes from last season it seems that all the colonies are several weeks further on at this point than they were last year.

Varroa can cause stunted drones if one has a heavy infestation, but not large number of drones in itself. Sorry, just trying to point out that there might be more than one problem!

Latest posts

Back