Dead brood, how to dispose

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exmoorbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A few days a ago we did a shook swarm on a hive (I know maybe too early but varroa count 180 in a week and weather still good by the sea here). We froze the brood for 3 days to kill the brood and varroa. all fine up to this point.

we now have 5 frames of frozen brood comb filled with dead sealed brood and varroa

What is the best way to dispose of this. I think are options are:-

• Solar wax extractor (big mess of larvae)
  • Hang the whole frame in the chicken run for chickens to peck clean then wax extractor (bee close to run, may rob)
  • put back into hive for bees to clean (seems a very bad idea)
  • uncap while frozen and hit side of frame so larvae fall out (tried on one frame, about half the brood fell out, hit it a few more times whole comb fell out of frame)
  • any thing thing else?????
Thanks in advance for any advice..

Remove the comb and throw in the bin, wash and flame the frames and fit new foundation

Remove the comb and throw in the bin, wash and flame the frames and fit new foundation

thanks redwood, seems I'm thinking too much again, keep is simple. sounds good.

Would it pay you to think about a plan "B"? Five frames of brood is a substantial number of bees potentially.

By freezing them (no doubt with the best of intentions) there is a serious resource to the apiary lost.

Just a thought.

PH

The miite count was really bad. But the another way to handel mites is

- make a artificial swarm
- move the hive 20 feets
- put the frame of nonseeled brood in the new hive and that on old place.

- let the bees move themselves to the new hive.
- after 3 days handle the mites away from the hive with oxalic axid.

- Let the another part of hive emerge and give to them varroa cures during next 3 weeks.
- when all bees have emerged, you will see how much you have there bees. Lots will die for violation of mites.

5 frame of brood is a big hive when emerged.

I am with PH, but I think the old comb + occupants would be best used as firelighters!

Wondered if your waste go to landfill or energy from waste incinerator?

Don't put them in a solar wax extractor. The smell of boiling brood is a sickly horrible smell. Puts you off ever doing it again! Just chuck it, be careful if you use it as a fire lighter, it REALLY burns and never use wax to start in indoor fire without experimenting on amount needed!
E

It is best dig into earth. Worms and mold will eate them all.

Throw into bin to where bees go to "forage real juice of life".

Couldn't the brood have been pulled with a fork and left out for the birds? I know when I've inspected my drone brood the robin has been very appreciative when I get back to my main plot.

A few days a ago we did a shook swarm on a hive ... We froze the brood for 3 days to kill the brood and varroa. all fine up to this point.

we now have 5 frames of frozen brood comb filled with dead sealed brood and varroa ...

Couldn't the brood have been pulled with a fork and left out for the birds? ...

Isn't it normal to remove the brood (and feed to birds, chickens, whatever) before freezing the frames?

Presume OP is a caring sort and couldn't face leaving brood and mites to die a slow lingering death.

just the same as the freezer vs knife approach to lobsters. horses for courses.

Latest posts

Back