What do with wild comb wax with dead brood in it

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon.21

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi
Went into my two hives yesterday to add a super on as they were looking to be building up well. . Took off my fondant cosy (insulated box with feeder hole) which has a space for feeding and the bees had produced wild comb with worker brood In that area. Cut it all out and now have wax with dead brood in it (See pic) And not sure whether I should be retaining and processing - if so how or just binning it ?
lessons learned for next year though for me not to leave it so long before removing fondant cosy as it took a lot of work to sort it all out.

Attachments

• C5C39DCF-0504-493C-AD68-AA32EA02654E.jpeg
    C5C39DCF-0504-493C-AD68-AA32EA02654E.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 37
Bag and bin. If you were entirely sure it was clear of disease you could just chuck it into a bush and let some animal eat it.

I would put it in my solar wax extractor to get the wax and bin the residue

Hi
Went into my two hives yesterday to add a super on as they were looking to be building up well. . Took off my fondant cosy (insulated box with feeder hole) which has a space for feeding and the bees had produced wild comb with worker brood In that area. Cut it all out and now have wax with dead brood in it (See pic) And not sure whether I should be retaining and processing - if so how or just binning it ?
lessons learned for next year though for me not to leave it so long before removing fondant cosy as it took a lot of work to sort it all out.
Every bit of wax is precious ... if you don't have a hive scrapings tub then you should have one .. chuck every last scrap of wax you take out of the hives into it; build yourself a solar wax melter and on a nice warm day chuck the lot in, reclaim the wax and bin the residue. There's so much you can do with beeswax and it keeps forever.

A Solar wax melter is a Blue Peter job ... Celotex/Kingspan, Bamboo skewers, no more nails and aluminium tape ... and some spare paint and a piece of greenhouse glass. £20 tops and you have it forever.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125609724@N03/albums/72157655336719145

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back