• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Dead Bees Wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbbb90

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello.
I know this may seem an outrage to some of you but I am a fourth year graphic design student at Edinburgh College of Art and for my independent project I am currently looking at the 'plight of the bee' and how to raise awareness for this important cause. For my research I would very much like to be able to observe the bee up close and look at bee taxidermy. Therefore, I am collecting any dead bees and was wondering if anyone was in such an unfortunate position where I was able to buy the remains off them? Any information would be greatly appreciated or if anyone reading knows of anyone I could contact who could help me too.
Thank you.
Katie Brammall

Hi Katie - Not sure how many you may be looking for but assuming its more than the odd one the best bet for you is probably to contact the National Bee Unit.

...er, have you chosen the right gender symbol, Katie? ;)

...er, have you chosen the right gender symbol, Katie? ;)

It seems that if you go into User CP now to make an amendment (or for new members) that "male" is default, "female" an option, but there is no "prefer not to say" which is pretty much universal on forums, or at least the ones I've come across. It all comes down to sharing personal information online and I feel the third option assists in this process.

If I could have found a way of asking admin to consider a third option off forum I would have but couldn't :willy_nilly:

I had a phone call about dead bees a month or so ago. An art student requested them to cast molds of to make silver jewellery for her final thesis/project...duly supplied and now collect on sight for her...

Ha ha. Anyone in the position of having a deadout in the spring, get them as fresh as possible into a jiffy bag and Katie will have more than enough to be going on with.

It's either that or compost time . . . :)

@KatieB, if you offer a free stamped addressed Jiffy bag, the sort that will snap it up are also likely to be the ones short feeding the bees over winter and so the ones most likely to be able to make good use of your mailer.

Over winter on fine days the bees are apt to break cluster and do a bit of house keeping, so even without a disaster there should be between a few and a couple of hundred available every few days from quite a lot of colonies.

I should offer the stamped addressed Jiffy bag to a couple of takers rather than offering money, you could get inundated.

Good luck with your course. I'm not sure that there is much to stuff in a dead bee, they either dessicate quite quickly or if in a heap on the bottom of the hive, they quickly start to decompose.

Last edited:
It seems that if you go into User CP now to make an amendment (or for new members) that "male" is default, "female" an option, but there is no "prefer not to say" which is pretty much universal on forums, or at least the ones I've come across. It all comes down to sharing personal information online and I feel the third option assists in this process.

If I could have found a way of asking admin to consider a third option off forum I would have but couldn't :willy_nilly:

A third option has now been added with the default being blank.
Admin.

A third option has now been added with the default being blank.
Admin.

I would prefer not to be a blank thank you....

I was called Suzie up until I started work.... my best friend at school was called Marion.

Certainly toughens you up.....................:leaving:

bee-smilliebee-smilliebee-smillie

Last edited:
Heyyou in the Tamar Valley. or better known as icanhopit.
So you are saying you suffer with Gynandromorphism? Work that one out if you can.

Mo

Bcrazy,

I've got a cyclops drone in the freezer if you are interested.

Steve.

Hi Steve,
Thanks but no thanks my friend. As yet i have not come accross mutations in any of my colonies but that's not to say there are none.
Thanks all the same Steve. Best wishes.

Mo

bees wanted.... also

i know this thread is rather old, but wondered whether anyone has any dead bees? for the same reason as original poster. If you want to turn the sadness of the death of the bees, into something beautiful, then let me take them off your hands (happy to pay), thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back