Dead bees on floor.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyhorse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Morning all, as the weather started to change and our first heavy frost in the SE. I took some celotex up to my WBC’s

When I removed the varroa floor I found 6 dead bees, and a few Varroa mites about 8 in 2 weeks.
The comb residue looked to be brood and some food capping colour.
Should I be concerned?
There is no mite droppage on the other colony, and no dead bees.

Thoughts please. CA2BF60C-9A08-44EA-AF2B-D2B8B3A0F046.jpeg

It's not unusual to find dead bees on the inspection board - they find their way into there by accident and at this time of the year they just die. Your varroa drop I don't consider to be of any concern. If you are worried about it you could do a sublimation with OA that will give you an accelerated drop and tell you more about the infestation level without disturbing the colony.

In that case should I be concerned that there is no varroa droppage on the other colony or just accept Apigaurd worked well in one colony better than the other?

In that case should I be concerned that there is no varroa droppage on the other colony or just accept Apigaurd worked well in one colony better than the other?
The mites on the inspection board is a very poor indicator of infestation levels. I regularly do sugar rolls during the season and the mites on the board very rarely have any relation to the actual infestation levels. So ... I would not be unduly concerned but like I said ... if you are worried - vape and check the board after an accelerated drop.

Hmm never thought of that, guess I’m worried they will over heat??
I’ve also made double perspex crown boards.. effectively allows the introduction of insulation with out the need to remove crown boards, allows a cavity space as a buffer. Also using 8mm perspex instead of the thinner materials..
They cost around £15 to make.. and ultimately double up the functions..

Attachments

• 2CED165B-4587-48DD-B83E-6B9F29D11217.jpeg
    2CED165B-4587-48DD-B83E-6B9F29D11217.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
Hmm never thought of that, guess I’m worried they will over heat??
I’ve also made double perspex crown boards.. effectively allows the introduction of insulation with out the need to remove crown boards, allows a cavity space as a buffer. Also using 8mm perspex instead of the thinner materials..
They cost around £15 to make.. and ultimately double up the functions..
The insulation goes ABOVE the crownboard so there's no need to remove it ...

Sorry, yes that’s what I meant.. just phrased it all slightly odd.

Keep the insuation on all year round , winter to keep valuale heat in and summer to prevent the sun thermally warming the hive from above.
Inside the roof space in summer the temps can get very warm , simply replacing that space with insulation will prevent any air from doing so.

Latest posts

Back