Damson & Honey Jam

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can somebody please recommend a good recipe for Damson & Honey jam. I would like to replace sugar with the honey and/or add honey once at set point.
Looking to enter the association honey show classes this year.

I have loads of Damsons picked and ready to go.

This is about as near to my usual recipe as it gets without me writing it all down:

https://www.fabfood4all.co.uk/damson-jam/

Damsons are pretty tart so I'd recommend replacing half the weight of sugar with your honey to get a balanced flavour as well or you may find the honey overtakes the flavour of the damsons. I'd add the honey towards the end but you need to make sure you get it to the setting point - I would not add it in at the end or you could end up with a very runny jam .. not a favourite of judges !

I've only ever made Damson jam with sugar and it's a real favourite of friends and family .. I have a Damson tree now but it's only three years old so I'll have to wait a bit longer before they are my own damsons. Not easy to find in the hedgerows down here - there are a few I know about but they tend to get picked over too early. You really need to leave them on the tree to the point where they just come away with a gentle touch.

We’ve picked our damsons already and I’ve made jam with sugar. Half of the damsons were infested with pink plum moth caterpillars
I have some damsons still seeping whole in gin from last year. I guess there may be a good few pickled worms.
Blackcurrants and Seville oranges do really well with honey as the sole sweetener by the way

Latest posts

Back