Dadant Bee Space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooBee...

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2+ nucs
The below YouTube video was linked to in a recent Posting about a Dadant modification, upon looking closely at the frames I think the beek is using ONLY single Bee Space, see for yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6RNUfWMbIQ

If you go to 2:48 you will clearly see in the top right a metal stud, which appears to be there to keep the frames ONLY one Bee Space apart, I'm guessing that's about 5mm, it looks maybe 6mm, at the most.

Does anyone else use this?

Surely this will cause problems... doesn't the brood need a layer of bees over it to keep it warm, cared for, etc. as opposed to just half a layer of bees (which is all there would be with a single layer of bees between brood frames) and before someone says, 'these bees / frames clearly do not need two layers of bees between each frame' this does appear to be in summer time (published in July) in which heating demands from bees would be less. All I'm saying it may be a slow Spring build up... maybe?

This goes against what I've read, been taught, seen in other beehives, and against what I thought could be done well in a managed bee hive????

Does anyone have experience with Dadant or 5/6mm spacing between frames? :hairpull:

Does anyone have experience with Dadant or 5/6mm spacing between frames? :hairpull:

Why?

There is an usual standards in this issue. All frames are made with this standards.
I cannot see reason reason to make innovations in this.

One frame takes 35 mm space from box.

Last edited:
It does look like there's only one bee space between the top bars. That's ok, it would certainly prevent brace comb wrapping over the sides of the top bar.

What we can't tell is the centre to centre spacing of the frames, it may well be enough to give them 2 bee spaces between the combs...
Pausing the video and comparing the sizes of the top bar gap and top bar width, I get the following: If the space between the top bars is 6mm, then the comb centre to centre is 33.3mm.
(that's not precise as we're assuming the gap is 6mm, but it looks ok to me)

It does look like there's only one bee space between the top bars. That's ok, it would certainly prevent brace comb wrapping over the sides of the top bar.

What we can't tell is the centre to centre spacing of the frames, it may well be enough to give them 2 bee spaces between the combs...
Pausing the video and comparing the sizes of the top bar gap and top bar width, I get the following: If the space between the top bars is 6mm, then the comb centre to centre is 33.3mm.
(that's not precise as we're assuming the gap is 6mm, but it looks ok to me)

Thanks for confirming what I thought my eyes were seeing. I hadn't come across such a tight bee space in frames, of course your right, it doesn't mean that a 6mm gap is maintained with the comb as well, just means it'll be maintained with only the frame, duh should have thought of that!

Any idea where one can get the little silver coloured studs being used to space the frames apart?

Latest posts

Back