Cut-outs When is the best time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Straw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I have been asked to cut-out a colony which has been inhabiting a portacabin roof for the last couple of years.

I am thinking that around 11 April would be a good time because the colony will be small but expanding and the outside temperatures will be slightly warmer than now. Also there will be a start to the pollen and nectar flow. (cherries, hazel and others in the area of the apairy)

Is there a better time?

The weather in the UK much too unpredictable to commit to a specific date – it would be better to do the cut out when the weather is suitable.

The weather in the UK much too unpredictable to commit to a specific date – it would be better to do the cut out when the weather is suitable.

Thanks Les. What makes the weather more suitable? Just night and day temperatures?, if so what temps should I be looking for

With this I think time is more of the essence than what the weather is like.
The sooner you move them, the less time they spend building comb and brood in the portacabin will be wasted.

You could do the cut-out from inside the portacabin if the weather is bad.
(if the portacabin is to be repaired after, better to not break the external weather protecting layer.)
You're only moving them from a big wooden box to a smaller one, so isn't what the night time temperature is, almost irrelevant?

I am waiting to do one too, out of an old mill wheel housing! I am waiting until there is a warm spell. If they are busy then things become a lot easier,
Good luck with yours, don't forget the photo's
E

Back