Cut comb processing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre19

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi all,

We are having a go at some cut comb, not done it before. Picked up some Crystal containers from Thornes at the week-end, first question, what is the best way of sterilizing them?

Second question, I've read that you need to put the comb in the freezer for a week to kill off wax month eggs, is the necessary?

Ta

Pete

Hi all,

We are having a go at some cut comb, not done it before. Picked up some Crystal containers from Thornes at the week-end, first question, what is the best way of sterilizing them?

Second question, I've read that you need to put the comb in the freezer for a week to kill off wax month eggs, is the necessary?

Ta

Pete

Q1 - Just give them a rinse imo, no need to sterilize

Q2 - if you have wax moth eggs in the cut comb then how else are you proposing to kill them off?

I freeze it for that reason, and if there is the space, keep it in the freezer until needed. It's not like jarred honey which you can easily gently re-heat if the honey starts to crystallise.

Hi all,

first question, what is the best way of sterilizing them?
No ned to sterilize - they come factory clean which is adequate, if you really must just a quick rinse

There seems to be a bit of a waxmoth obsession with some beekeepers.
I never freeze my cut comb, so no, not neccessary although if you are going to keep it for some time before selling then freezing, as well as ensuring no waxmoth development, stops the honey crystalizing in the comb.

Latest posts

Back