Culling drone brood reduces varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I have a colony that has been monitored monthly for varroa and shown a 1 - 3 average daily drop. All ok queen laying well bees looking healthy.

I have culled the 3" of drone brood built below a super frame 3 times over the season and just binned the first two. I decided to check the last one today - and was horrified to fine the following:- What was more shocking was the multiple occupancy - as many as 6 in one cell.

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture it goes to show that the mite will be here for a long time
An eye opener for me keep up your control of the little critters:smash:

just wonderng if , by using OMF floors we are producing a varroa mite by natural selection that clings on better and therefore does not drop off so readily and therefore put FERA calcluation table out for totla mites

i had a normal drop of one or two per week since May and did a drone cull three weeks ago , found 50% drones with mites, it risen to 10-15 drop now

Or is it jusr drifting drones

what% ofdrones looked at had mites

Of the 50 larvae extracted 33 had mites therefore 66%

All my colonies will be getting Apiguard just as soon as I can get the remaining supers off - the result of that will be interesting.

What was more shocking was the multiple occupancy - as many as 6 in one cell.[/QUOTE]

Thats probably the next generation, they go into the drone brood before they are sealed and breed in there.

Of the 50 larvae extracted 33 had mites therefore 66%

That's very high! I'm surprised you aren't seeing the effects. You're going to be knee deep in mites when you stick the apiguard on...

The trigger for treating is a level of about 5% in drone brood. I suggest your colony is on the point of collapse and won't survive the winter unless you act at once.

Ab solutely right Rooftops - see post 4:iagree:

i had a normal drop of one or two per week since May and did a drone cull three weeks ago , found 50% drones with mites, it risen to 10-15 drop now

O

oh dear, something wrong with to me today, second typo this afternoon

i meant 5% not 50%

yes i would use a three pot of apiguard cycle, if its that highat 66%, or even thymol soaked tea bags or thymol patties which you can make stronger

Back