Crystallised ivy honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee-Key-Pur

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1+
I left a super of stores on a hive for the bees to use over winter.
When I looked in the hive yesterday, most of the stores in the super are gone, but about 4 frames are full of what I think might be crystallised ivy honey, because they were bringing in lots last autumn. Can anyone advise me what I should do with them; can they be cleaned out in any way to be used again?

Thanks.

Brian.

I found several frames of ivy honey when I did my first check this week.

I left three frames in each hive (brood and a half), with the honey bruised. I have taken away two frames from each, which if necessary I plan to return to them once the OSR flow ends.

If you fancy trying it yourself you could melt the lot down then skim off the wax. A bit messy and you certainly wouldn't be able to sell any of it but....

I've never tried ivy honey myself but I know a few people who say it's good.

tried some the other day, has an almost faint menthol hint, I am planning on taking a bit off as apparently there are some people who really rant about it. was advised to gently warm frame after uncapping and that the honey should come out before wax melts? probably more difficult than it sounds, but should be fun!!

Latest posts

Back