crystalised comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdod

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 ish lol
I still have combs full off crystalised honey in my brood chamber, i was under the impression that the bees would sort it out but they dont seem to of touched it, I have about 4 frames in each brood box...

Should i remove and add foundation or just leave it as it seems to be taking up valuable space?

I still have combs full off crystalised honey in my brood chamber, i was under the impression that the bees would sort it out but they dont seem to of touched it, I have about 4 frames in each brood box...

Should i remove and add foundation or just leave it as it seems to be taking up valuable space?
In the early spring they eat stores in order to build up. As the spring progresses, more and more plants come "on-line" and the availability of fresh nectar increases. They respond to this by gathering the fresh nectar irrespective of what they have in store. The queen can soon become honey-bound and not have space to lay which can lead them to swarm.
If the population of young bees is high enough (and it is warm enough) they will draw foundation

14x12 so even with 4 frames filled, you still have a decent sized brood area available.

But yes, you need to give them access to the brood box for, errr, brood rearing!

First question is what is in those stores frames.
If it is just sugar syrup, then it is painlessly expendable.
If it were actual honey (even Ivy) and you had access to both a (very) well-regulated warming cabinet and an extractor that will take the jumbo frames, then extraction becomes a definite possibility.

Other possibilities include storing the frames for nuc-feeding and such.

Personally I would (but said without seeing your actual situation) -
-immediately remove one (the least valuable - your call) of the stores-only frames from each hive, and give them each one foundation frame, positioned between the brood and the remaining stores frames. A decent colony should draw it out quickly at this time of the year.
- then I'd uncap those removed frames and, in plenty just-warm water, I'd soak out the scrap stores over a couple of days to get an empty but drawn frame.
- once done (or nearly - the bees will finish the job) I'd return the empty drawn frames, and to make room, remove (and store, freezer, etc) the 'best' remaining stores frames from each colony. I'd arrange the remaining 2 stores frames at the back of the hive (if warm way) or one at each end (if cold way). And I'd put the newly-emptied drawn frame next to the last brood frame on the other side of the brood nest to where I'd put the foundation.
- this should give each colony two more frames available for brood pretty quickly and relieve the potential for congestion-induced swarming. And it leaves each colony a couple of frames of stores in case of bad weather, etc, and gives you a couple of frames of stores in reserve for contingencies.

scrape the cappings off, give it a good scratch, they will use it then

You answered your own question, shirley? The term 'valuable' was what I am referring to.

thankyou for your replys its always reasuring to have bee keepers who have seen it and done it all before giving good advice, I thought I was on the right track but not seen full frames of crystilised stores this time of year before.

scrape the cappings off, give it a good scratch, they will use it then

And a rinse in warm water after scratching the cappings will help too!! Shake off surplus water and return to the bees and watch them enjoy a drink.

Latest posts

Back