Crown board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suechick

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

After checking out web prices I have made my own crown board from polycarbonate sheeting ( had some spare).

I am very happy as I can now see into the hive quite well without disturbing them.

That's what I do too; some crown boards and some feeder boards.You can use a decent thickness so that it doesn't buckle under the weight of a rapid feeder.

After checking out web prices I have made my own crown board from polycarbonate sheeting ( had some spare).

I am very happy as I can now see into the hive quite well without disturbing them.

I think one is a fantastic addition to any hive.

But ... noting that you have a National, unless its been made as non-standard top beespace, the board needs a rim, about 8mm tall, to provide beespace under the board. Making and attaching that rim is the only hard bit!

what would you consider "a decent thickness" of polycarb? i'm working with smiths (top space) so could, in theory, get away with nothing more complex than a flat sheet cut to the appropriate size, would it have to be very thick in order not to sag? - would thinner sheet supported by a frame be more practical?

bee-smillie,

Hello Big Dave,

Unfortunately I am no bee hive making expert, I am just a little bit broke and trying to do bee keeping on the cheap.

My Oh and I have been tackling the task of making hives from plywood sheeting and I liked the idea of a see through crown board, so that i could get a heads up on what is going on down there so to speak. i had some sheeting left so I made some from it.

I just need to find something to cover the roofs in something that is more permanent than felt.

sueze

Back