Cross combing in nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naughty 👿…I get enough stick for having a top bar!!
You won’t get stick here for either options.
We have a very successful Flow operator here and lots of people have Top Bars. They are just not a particularly easy option for beginners.

I have been extracting in this heat without problem of comb collapse. Soft comb is easier to cut or bend back into line .
Yes it will be a bit messy with a few casualties but I still think better done sooner. You only need to see the mess they can make when left to their own devices for too long. Each to their own

You won’t get stick here for either options.
We have a very successful Flow operator here and lots of people have Top Bars. They are just not a particularly easy option for beginners.
Ah ok, my apologies, I misunderstood your intention, based on how many disparaging comments I’ve had about the top bar…which I completely accept may not be ideal at this early stage in my beekeeping career; but then in the rest of life I’ve rarely done things in the right order, so it is at least true to form!

I have been extracting in this heat without problem of comb collapse. Soft comb is easier to cut or bend back into line .
Yes it will be a bit messy with a few casualties but I still think better done sooner. You only need to see the mess they can make when left to their own devices for too long. Each to their own
I'm inclined to agree ... it looks dreadful when you start cutting free comb out and you definitely need to do it over a big tray if there is honey or nectar in the cells but as long as you can get the comb attachedt to a frame or top bar it's surprising how quickly the little darlings put it back together and firm up the attachment. Soft comb is a lot easier to bend to shape - it looks fragile but actually, because it is soft, it tends to bend rather than break up.

I'd go for it ... sooner rather than later.

Thank you for the reassurance I will investigate and decide what to do - I love it that everyone thinks/does stuff differently, even if that is a little perplexing as a newbie 🙂

the different style of intervention
What 'different style' ? the original style of low intervention was such, as the top bar hive was designed for African bees (where regular inspection triggered swarming). To clutch at that as a 'good' thing with European bees might even suggest to an excuse for lazy beekeeping.
Regardless of type of hive, bees will try and swarm, regular inspection helps avoid that happening, and conventional hives make artificial swarming easier. Regular inspection helps pick up early signs of disease etc. and helps the beginner get to 'know' the bees

I think that may be the way to go rolande - assuming you’ve posted it as an example of how to deal with it rather than a dire warning! And I’m grateful to see it’s not just me that’s got into this situation 😁 The swarm has been very busy making itself at home in the nuc - including making comb in the miller feeder which I have now taken off…

I just can’t see the new comb they have now surviving even my most careful attempt to extricate it - and them - it’s just too soft, especially in this heat, and I’m worried that I’ll end up with a mash of bees and wax and nectar and no possible chance of constructing it into anything useful for the bees or me…

Clearly delaying until the spring will present other challenges as others have pointed out - hence I keep going back and forth between the two options.

I definitely can’t do anything until the weather breaks, so I’m thinking I’ll investigate next week and see how much destruction I would wreak doing it now, and then make a final decision.
I'm trying not to recommend one way or another,to you, simply making points based on a lot of hard won experience which I hope will be of practical use if you go the one way while still being aware of the fact that you do really need to be able to see what's going on in the box.... .

If there's a bit of wild comb then yes, move it into line, no problem. But if you've got a wild free for all situation then I think it's a case of assessing everything and making the decision.

One thing you should accept, in my view, is that it's a brilliant opportunity to get good new comb drawn, don't waste time trying to save comb that doesn't have brood in it - that might be another plus for leaving to spring. Personally I'd be thinking of ways of getting them on new comb.

Spring is also less likely to result in a frenzy of robbing (youll be surprised at how quickly neighbouring bees and wasps will be on you at present).

I'm trying not to recommend one way or another,to you, simply making points based on a lot of hard won experience which I hope will be of practical use if you go the one way while still being aware of the fact that you do really need to be able to see what's going on in the box.... .

If there's a bit of wild comb then yes, move it into line, no problem. But if you've got a wild free for all situation then I think it's a case of assessing everything and making the decision.

One thing you should accept, in my view, is that it's a brilliant opportunity to get good new comb drawn, don't waste time trying to save comb that doesn't have brood in it - that might be another plus for leaving to spring. Personally I'd be thinking of ways of getting them on new comb.

Spring is also less likely to result in a frenzy of robbing (youll be surprised at how quickly neighbouring bees and wasps will be on you at present).
Thank you, that’s really helpful and I’m grateful for you sharing your experience 🙂

For context - I transferred a 6 frame nuc (admittedly a very full one) into a full sized hive 5 days ago, today almost all the frames are drawn out.
I'd cut them back, transfer to a full hive if you have one, add the extra frames, and see what you get. At least you'll have more possible frames to transfer to top bar.

For context - I transferred a 6 frame nuc (admittedly a very full one) into a full sized hive 5 days ago, today almost all the frames are drawn out.
I'd cut them back, transfer to a full hive if you have one, add the extra frames, and see what you get. At least you'll have more possible frames to transfer to top bar.
Whatever I manage to salvage, should I put those frames alternately with undrawn frames, to try and persuade the bees to comb straight-ish, or put all the existing comb together and add the new frames to one side/either side with the existing comb in the middle?

Whatever I manage to salvage, should I put those frames alternately with undrawn frames, to try and persuade the bees to comb straight-ish, or put all the existing comb together and add the new frames to one side/either side with the existing comb in the middle?
Alternating drawn and undrawn is a good way of getting straight new comb. Do not split the brood nest too much especially when colder weather comes

Latest posts

Back