Crop info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian wallace

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys.
I am wanting to start to move my hives around to get a good honey flow
I have just moved them to a osr field but I don't know we're to move them after this.

Is there a chart that shows what crops are in season so I can move from one field to another

Thanks

Ian Wallace
1959 a35 van

You are joking! When did you last see winter sown OSR out in full bloom in June? Even last year, it went over the last week in May.

You are joking! When did you last see winter sown OSR out in full bloom in June? Even last year, it went over the last week in May.

Last year the warm early spring bough the OSR into flower early then the wet cool backend of the spring kept it flowering for ages.

There are some late W OSR that is only just begining to come into flower due to the awful spring we have had. Around us we will have OSR in flower for 3 months i think, early WOSR - late OSR then onto the spring osr's.

In a normal year (if ever there was one) and assuming only arable crops:

Winter OSR

Spring OSR
Beans
Borage

The final 3 can and do often come out the same time

C B

There are some late W OSR that is only just begining to come into flower due to the awful spring we have had.
Some large estates sow different varieties to spread the harvest, that spreads the flowering too.

Some large estates sow different varieties to spread the harvest, that spreads the flowering too.

Variety difference at it's extremes can give up to 10 days difference, but this is at it's extremes, the difference between an early or a late variety in a normal year is 5-6 days.

I don't know a great deal about OSR and when it is sown but plenty that appeared to be reaching maturity in North Cornwall on my through last night?
To answer the question posed, I would spend some time asking farmers when and what they in your locality
S

the rape field mine are on has only just started to flower last week.

It just amazes me the way some people post without thinking! Due to the terrible weather last year alot of farmers struggled to get rape in and had to plant late or whenever they could this spring. If you take even a casual glance around large parts of the countryside you can see rape fields in various stages of flowering. I have hives on a couple of fields which had to be replanted due to terrible weather/deer damage and are just coming into full flower now. Your best bet for a continuous flow is to look for fields of beans or large stands of trees such as sweet chestnuts or limes. Best of luck.

You are joking! When did you last see winter sown OSR out in full bloom in June? Even last year, it went over the last week in May,,,,,,,,,,, 4 fields here have just come in to full flower allthough
there is some that have nearly finished.. so i would say that it will be flowering here for at least another 3 weeks:facts:

Stuff that did show here only is just in flower as of about 10 days ago. There is nothing in comparison to what we would normally have.

What about peas - I noticed a field of peas on what is normally wheat or OSR. Do the bees like to forage peas? Normally we just get OSR, pear, apple and plum from the orchards and field beans.

Peas are neither a source of pollen or nectar. The Pea flower has a totally closed flower corolla which prevents insects (and wind) from pollinating them so they self pollinate.

Latest posts

Back