creatting wild bee hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
don't bumble bees make honey?
Yes, they do, but not very much. Try looking at the bumblebee trust website for more information

Last edited:
i think i've got the moral highground

In your opinion

please don't be sniffy about me being a vegan.

Of all the 'ans' we have I can respect vegans more than others as they go the whole hog, there is no grey area - all others IMHO do somewhere along the line smack of hypocrisy.
Doesn't mean I don't believe you are sadly misguided. So please don't assume superiority over us omnivores please and assume you hold some 'moral high ground over us'

I think you would be better off supplying bumbles and solitary bees with nesting boxes and planting some pollinator friendly plants. Leaving a honey bee hive out for some passing swarm IMHO is not a wise idea and I think will only make you very unpopular with your neighbours and open to censure from the allotment committee.
In a close community like an allotment means that looking after honeybees is just that - you have to look after them and to some extent interfere with their existence.

Doesn't mean I don't believe you are sadly misguided

you are onto a losing argument here. farming is cruel to animals (you kill them, smoke them, artificially inseminate them, steal their food, replace it with deficient food, treat them with chemicals etc). not farming is not cruel. you have merely decided that in the scheme of things you are not *very* cruel and that as an intelligent species you have a right to treat animals this way, largely for your own leisure and profit. in my book it isn't ok. hence my question about a wild hive. being less cruel to animals, even to insects, improves your own position in the universe. how is this not the moral high ground?

Suffice it to say that mis management or nil management of a honey bee hive could amount to being cruel. We have a responsibility to look after them, especially if we have supplied a home. Bumble bees are a different matter. So........suggest you go down the bumble bee route.
As an aside what I eat is my choice. I would never criticise your choice....nuff said!
Hope this helps and doesn't fuel the flames!
E

how is this not the moral high ground?

Because it is an argument which is born out of rank ignorance.
By all means hold your beliefs and even think to yourself you have some sort of moral superiority, but you lose any high ground as soon as you try and impose your twisted values on others.
You're welcome :)

Suffice it to say that mis management or nil management of a honey bee hive could amount to being cruel. We have a responsibility to look after them, especially if we have supplied a home. Bumble bees are a different matter. So........suggest you go down the bumble bee route.
As an aside what I eat is my choice. I would never criticise your choice....nuff said!
Hope this helps and doesn't fuel the flames!
E
Too late the propane cylinder is in the fire

Why are bumble bees different? why do we deny wild bees boxes, yet we will put up nests for bumblebees? I have unmanaged blue tit boxes, so why not unmanaged honey bee boxes?

I could contend that all of the common boxes(managed or not) we put honeybees in are cruel, because they lose so much heat for an organism that is all about heat, energy collection and energy storage

(btw confirmed omnivore, vegatarians descriminate against plants:) )

Last edited:
Because it is an argument which is born out of rank ignorance.
By all means hold your beliefs and even think to yourself you have some sort of moral superiority, but you lose any high ground as soon as you try and impose your twisted values on others.
You're welcome :)

:yeahthat: but unfortunately I think with dogmatists it's just :beatdeadhorse5:

Aphids, slugs, snails, caterpillars ... All lovely wildlife right up to the point you're trying to grow food.
How do vegans deal with that?

hello

i have an allotment plot and like bees. i am also a vegan gardener meaning i don't use animal products or approve of farming animals. i would however like to start a wild bee hive on my plot and leave it to look after itself. are there any problems with this?

:troll:

Yes just like the the others that don't believe in blood transfusions and such like they try push thier beliefs on us. So to the OP i had a mixed grill, steak, lamb chop, small pork chop, black pudding, fried egg and veg fried onions Mushrooms few chips oh and mustard. Then for afters Egg custard with ruhbarb and apple. Friday will be Salmon and prawn with veg and a suprise for desert AHHHHHHH bliss. So stick your moral ground i'am happy with my lot.

Yes just like the the others that don't believe in blood transfusions and such like they try push thier beliefs on us. So to the OP i had a mixed grill, steak, lamb chop, small pork chop, black pudding, fried egg and veg fried onions Mushrooms few chips oh and mustard. Then for afters Egg custard with ruhbarb and apple. Friday will be Salmon and prawn with veg and a suprise for desert AHHHHHHH bliss. So stick your moral ground i'am happy with my lot.

With tomato sauce ?

And I stamped on a snail before sailing from Portland yesterday.

I agree with Luminos :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back