Covid related advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
My son is still in Halls of Residence at the University of South Wales. He shares with Chinese nationals, who are inviting friends into the shared area and not following guidelines on distance/stay at home/etc. Their attitude is that they are Chinese and know what they're doing wrt the covid situation as the virus occurred in China first. Any advice?

They aren't even studying a biology related subject. My temptation is to phone the Police and report them.I'm particularly looking for advice from medics/police to see if this is the right approach to take.

Last edited:
Would not the first port of call be the halls manager/uni. Report it get them to move on if it happens again you have a record of previous issues and relevant authorities will take it more seriously.

From my time as a part time lecturer, I looked at the government website, the students can't be evicted, they would under these circumstances, most likely get a ticking off first, the next time a fine, conviction not sure, but the parents would be paying the fine. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...solation-for-residential-educational-settings
Cambridgeshire Police force got criticised for providing a form to snitch on your neighbour. So most likely the Police would tell you to stop wasting their time.
The polite way would be to make the University of South Wales aware of the situation, in other words keep it in house for now. But, I would say that as I was a part time lecturer there.

Calling the police is definitely an over reaction, but reporting it to the halls manager or a university authority would not be unreasonable.

Calling the police is definitely an over reaction, but reporting it to the halls manager or a university authority would not be unreasonable.

We've done that.
These guys break all the rules, including smoking in the building. Despite warnings from the uni (even threatening them with eviction) they do whatever they want.

From my time as a part time lecturer, I looked at the government website, the students can't be evicted, they would under these circumstances, most likely get a ticking off first, the next time a fine, conviction not sure, but the parents would be paying the fine. https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...solation-for-residential-educational-settings
Cambridgeshire Police force got criticised for providing a form to snitch on your neighbour. So most likely the Police would tell you to stop wasting their time.
The polite way would be to make the University of South Wales aware of the situation, in other words keep it in house for now. But, I would say that as I was a part time lecturer there.

They've had more than 3 warnings but, because they know they can't be evicted, they know they can do whatever they like.
I just thought a visit from the Police might make them realise that this is escalating beyond the uni

Part of the reason Jonathan is still there is because he didn't want to come back and put me at risk (I'm considered part of the vulnerable group because of asthma)

Last edited:
How high in the University have you expressed your concerns? Would this be of any use to you? https://www.officeforstudents.org.u...g-a-complaint-to-a-higher-education-provider/

It's not really an academic complaint so I don't think that link is relevant.
As I said earlier, there are ongoing issues with these Chinese guys smoking in the building but, my concern at the moment is that they're disobeying the lock down so my son can't come back because he'd risk infecting me. It has been reported to the appropriate authorities at the Uni.

They've had more than 3 warnings but, because they know they can't be evicted, they know they can do whatever they like.
I just thought a visit from the Police might make them realise that this is escalating beyond the uni

Part of the reason Jonathan is still there is because he didn't want to come back and put me at risk (I'm considered part of the vulnerable group because of asthma)

I'd call the police. They are being pretty proactive in SWP areas and DP - had a few been slapped on the spot fines in Swansea the last two weeks for just ignoring the lockdown. one clown in Llanelli for persistently flouting the lockdown and one in the village with us last week. Cardiff is beginning to feel the pressure with confirmed infections, I think it's the highest in the country at the moment and Swansea is getting concerned. I think there's been two NHS deaths in Morriston hospital already - one, a girl who lived a few miles from me..

Last edited:
A guy who lives about 100 yards from me died a few days ago. This whole thing is beyond frightening. People are still ignoring the guidelines and that lot sound like they could use a good slapping. Without question, phone the police and also explain the fact that you have made several complaints which have all been ignored, which is why you are now turning to them for help.

Thanks Guys.
I know some of you think I'm over-reacting but some people just don't seem to get how serious this thing is. The uni don't seem able to get the message through to his flatmates that certain things are unacceptable. I just thought Police involvement might get the message through to them as nothing else seems to work.
I'm not trying to get anyone into any trouble. I just want them to realise the effect their behaviour is having

Thanks Guys.
I know some of you think I'm over-reacting but some people just don't seem to get how serious this thing is. The uni don't seem able to get the message through to his flatmates that certain things are unacceptable. I just thought Police involvement might get the message through to them as nothing else seems to work.
I'm not trying to get anyone into any trouble. I just want them to realise the effect their behaviour is having

I don't think you are over reacting, you need to exhaust all avenues first. It is aserious matter, but I don't think police intervention will change their way of thinking, unfortunately. There are even cultural differences within China.

It is a very serious potentially fatal illness, there is no effective treatment beyond life support. Important to note though that in the absence of a cure or vaccine the flattening of the curve won't change the area under it (which represents the total number affected throughout the pandemic). It's highly likely that at some point we'll almost all get it. We can hope that very vigorous distancing might spare those at extreme risk - they should have received government sheilding letters. It might be a bit reassuring to realise that the global risk to your son, over the next year say, is not very significantly affected by his flatmates inconsiderate behaviours. The inconvenience of him not being able to come home due to your asthma remains of course.

Last edited:
It is a very serious potentially fatal illness, there is no effective treatment beyond life support. Important to note though that in the absence of a cure or vaccine the flattening of the curve won't change the area under it (which represents the total number affected throughout the pandemic). It's highly likely that at some point we'll almost all get it. We can hope that very vigorous distancing might spare those at extreme risk - they should have received government sheilding letters. It might be a bit reassuring to realise that the global risk to your son, over the next year say, is not very significantly affected by his flatmates inconsiderate behaviours. The inconvenience of him not being able to come home due to your asthma remains of course.

I got that letter a couple of weeks ago and registered on the government website.
My worry is that universities close down over the summer months and he's in uni accommodation after the flood in PontyPridd (Storm Ciaira) so he has nowhere else to go. He'll have to come home...but...if he hasn't been able to isolate because of their foolishness, his coming home will put the rest of us at risk (my wife and youngest son also have asthma but not as severe as mine).
I'd just like to add that I've received several very helpful suggestions via pm.
Thanks to you all.

Police or Crimestoppers……. make the call for all your sakes!

Having looked into it further I can see the stand point of the university regarding Covid19 and why B+ is hitting his head against a brick wall with them. In that respect other avenues need to be explored.

To be perfectly clear, my frustration is really with the Chinese guys my son is sharing Halls of Residence with.
My son had a tough time and was flooded out during the storms earlier this year and the university were kind enough to take all those students into halls again. He has a lot of work to catch up on because of this and also has on-line exams looming. They've had "parties" in their kitchen with other Chinese people and they always leave the place a mess (which, I suppose, is normal for students) but...at this point in time... it is completely unacceptable to disobey the rules/law about isolation.
Summer is approaching and most universities shut down a lot of their facilities over the summer when students return home. My son is going to be in a difficult position of either not being able to return home or put the rest of the family at risk of infection.

Remind the university that they have a duty of care to protect your son while in their residence. Therefore they should either move your son to a location where he can safely self isolate, or move the offending students out of your son's hall - possibly put all the offending students into a hall / corridor together so that they can 'isolate' together.

I'd keep calling the university, his provost or house master, course tutor, student union, student union newspaper, and the police. Keep calling them until it's fixed as they need to know that the situation persists.

Bugsinabox is correct about your son's health risk for the next year but if he can stay safe until after his exams it will have less impact on his academic grades.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back