Covid related advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be perfectly clear, my frustration is really with the Chinese guys my son is sharing Halls of Residence with.
My son had a tough time and was flooded out during the storms earlier this year and the university were kind enough to take all those students into halls again. He has a lot of work to catch up on because of this and also has on-line exams looming. They've had "parties" in their kitchen with other Chinese people and they always leave the place a mess (which, I suppose, is normal for students) but...at this point in time... it is completely unacceptable to disobey the rules/law about isolation.
Summer is approaching and most universities shut down a lot of their facilities over the summer when students return home. My son is going to be in a difficult position of either not being able to return home or put the rest of the family at risk of infection.

Summer is a ways off yet. There's a lot that might still come out in the wash before then to ease some of your concerns. Antigen testing is rapidly expanding and I'd be pretty confident that by June time you'll be able to request your son be tested before he comes home which whilst not perfect will provide a high degree of confidence that he's safe to come back if the test is done after seven days of him self isolating and that he doesn't use public transport to return home. Treatments are improving and the modified CPAPs appear to be making a significant difference to survival and speed of recovery. Plus it shouldn't be too much longer before they crack the antibody test which should make a vast difference in understanding relative risk.

What may be more of an issue is that once home he'll need to sacrifice contact with the outside world pretty much to the same extent as you to be sure that you remain shielded.

Summer is a ways off yet. There's a lot that might still come out in the wash before then to ease some of your concerns. Antigen testing is rapidly expanding and I'd be pretty confident that by June time you'll be able to request your son be tested before he comes home which whilst not perfect will provide a high degree of confidence that he's safe to come back if the test is done after seven days of him self isolating and that he doesn't use public transport to return home. Treatments are improving and the modified CPAPs appear to be making a significant difference to survival and speed of recovery. Plus it shouldn't be too much longer before they crack the antibody test which should make a vast difference in understanding relative risk.

What may be more of an issue is that once home he'll need to sacrifice contact with the outside world pretty much to the same extent as you to be sure that you remain shielded.

Yes. We're aware of all that. He doesn't drive so we'd need to drive to South Wales to pick him up. I don't think isolating himself would be much of an issue as he, and his brother, spend most of their time playing computer games in their rooms anyway!
A couple of his lecturers were in the news recently with some work they'd done on Covid-19 test kits (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales...5tMbWdzwYj1UvC8O4ahjnLc-iZV7kHiQGNSzLaGt136yU ).

The worst thing for me is that the neighbours are in their garden all day. Makes bee inspections difficult!!!
E

Once you have exhausted all other avenues within the university - and made sure there is a record of your call/complaint at each step - then the only thing left is to involve the police. At that point the university may also start taking the matter more seriously. Foreign students are worth more to a university than UK students in terms of fees [sometimes 50% more] but the university has an equal responsibility to all students [I still work at a university] . The least they could do was to move your son to another Hall of Residence.

Latest posts

Back