Councils poor advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was in Aberdare?

Why do these beekeepers not clarify the situation before arrival - recognise they are beyond their skill set and leave it to people that can do it.
All that happened there was that the bees were left in situ for a longer period so making the problem more difficult and consequently more expensive

Does the WBKA insurance cover for incompetence?

Following the BBKA line re ladders perhaps? Too much elfinsafety to have a life these days (says one who never been bothered by heights. It's the ground that kills)

To be honest, I was busy and resented the intrusion into my time with yet another idiot who couldn't be bothered to phone so thought she would text (what is ii with some people).

I like texts. My summer voice mail message says send one with a picture.

It works well if you're a swarm collector who works.

Why do these beekeepers not clarify the situation before arrival - recognise they are beyond their skill set and leave it to people that can do it.
All that happened there was that the bees were left in situ for a longer period so making the problem more difficult and consequently more expensive
Why don't householders have a more accurate concept of measuring height above the ground!

I spend ages asking questions trying to make sure exactly how high any swarm is, and explain what equipment I carry in my car. All too often when I arrive the swarm would only be within easy reach of the top of my ladder if I were around ten foot tall!

I had a call yesterday from a lady referred by the council, desperate to have honeybees removed from her chimney. She had rung all the beekeepers on the swarm list and couldn't understand why we couldn't help her. It took me over 5 minutes to explain our reasons for not removing them. I advised a pest controller was needed. She said she had rung the council pest control and they passed her onto us, should she call them back. I told her they will not remove them and she would need a private pest controller.

Someone removed a swarm from the back of a house on the Broadway in Pontypridd, earlier this week. Scaffolding involved there, not sure if it was already erected or specifically for the bees.

That's one way to tackle it. I have had a problem (since the cuts) with my local council giving my number out to everyone calling about "bees".
I actually had to stop answering the phone during the height of tree bumble bee mating as it literally never stopped all day!
Personally I'm not after collecting swarms anymore as I have enough good stock to breed for increase / replacement and now only ever collect swarms when no one else is available. I will be contacting my local council to remove my name and number from their list.

Just a quick update, seems the email I wrote finally reached the right people and the Pest control officer for the council that always used to contact me called me to ask what was going on. When I explained he apologised and asked me to find out who at the council (he suspects the call centre the council are now using) is giving my number out as they want to get to the bottom of it!
In the meantime he said he had only been called out to 2 swarms so far this year and a colleague in his department (who has just started beekeeping) collected those himself!

I have a recorded message on my phone referring callers to our website page Nuisance Bees http://tinyurl.com/plz3vmc It includes advice on various bees and wasps, and a list of local beekeepers willing to help. It works very well.

If it works that's great but I'm not sure simply telling concerned members of the public via the website we don't remove bees from chimneys or roofs is what they want to read in their hour of need.
Could you not provide pointers to willing builders or pest controllers for such eventualities. It might even earn a bit of commission for site costs.

Today had a phone call from the Council, bees are swarming outside one of there buildings in Abercynon. Received the info via a 3rd party within the council, although I informed them I probably would not be able to deal with it if it is inside the building, I went up there to assess the situation. Bees now inside the building through the airbricks and vents above lintel of the door. Talking to one of the Council employees, it looks as though there is the possiblity of 2 established colonies in the roofspace. I gave them GoEnviro's details and left. Hopefully he will be able to deal with it as the building has been throwing out swarms for the last 3 years. They are happy to pay whatever it takes to solve the problem as their own pest control will not touch them. Why can't the Council have private pest controllers on their books?

Last edited:
If it works that's great but I'm not sure simply telling concerned members of the public via the website we don't remove bees from chimneys or roofs is what they want to read in their hour of need.
Could you not provide pointers to willing builders or pest controllers for such eventualities. It might even earn a bit of commission for site costs.
Yes, we will try that.

Latest posts

Back