COSHH assessment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickyJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

the landowners where I am trying to get an apiary set up have requested a COSHH assessment for any chemicals you use on campus to maintain a healthy bee population.
for any chemicals we use on to maintain a healthy bee population. (I stupidly mentioned in my risk assessment that we would be disposing of any chemical containers used for disease and pest control responsibly in the local community recycling depot.)
Can anyone tell me what a COSHH assessment is and how I go about it for the MAQS and any other chemical I am likely to use?
Nicky

Find somewhere else?

More than just disposal, storage, use, protective gear, signage, records etc?

http://www.nodglobal.com/uploads/1/4/3/7/14371138/maqs_msds_august_9_2012.pdf

Section 13: Disposal Considerations
Waste disposal
Disposal should be in a
ccordance with applicable federal, provincial, State and local
regulations

So probably double bagged and taken to local refuse tip to be disposed of in accordance with their rules. (or throw in general waste)

http://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=97
This is a nice forum for health and safety stuff. Someone should probably be able to help you out there.

What's in your HACCP?

Last edited:
the coshh details will be found on the bottle of what ever your using, its the law, unless you have a bottle of stuff in the shed that farmer giles gave you years ago, they normal have website details too, which you can then print off the data/details
it'll just say stuff like dont drink/dont get on hands etc, then details of what to do if that happens

Hi

the landowners where I am trying to get an apiary set up have requested a COSHH assessment for any chemicals you use on campus to maintain a healthy bee population.
for any chemicals we use on to maintain a healthy bee population. (I stupidly mentioned in my risk assessment that we would be disposing of any chemical containers used for disease and pest control responsibly in the local community recycling depot.)
Can anyone tell me what a COSHH assessment is and how I go about it for the MAQS and any other chemical I am likely to use?
Nicky

Some of these modern ideas make you lose the will to live :(

From memory, the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regs 2002 require anybody supplying substances,which may be hazardous, to supply information that allow users to take appropriate steps to safeguard their workers and the general public. The manufacturers should have a COSHH Data Sheet for their product which they will supply if asked. If you can get one for MAQS, have a read to see if there's anything you need to know to safeguard yourself and others who may come into contact with it and pass a copy to your prospective landlord. If he wants a risk assessment after you've given him the data sheet, you basically say what the hazards are and that by following the manufacturer's the risk are reduced to an acceptable level. If there's something in the substance that the manufacturer is not declaring as hazardous on his data sheet, he's in the frame for a prosecution, not the end user.

Its fairly straightforward and, despite what many people say, the regulations are worthwhile - if they had existed forty years ago, we would not have had the massive numbers of people now dying belatedly from asbestos related diseases/conditions.

CVB

The COSHH sheets (or MSDS - Material Safety Data Sheets) can nearly always be found online via Google or similar.

The MAQS one is here:

http://www.nodglobal.com/uploads/1/4/3/7/14371138/maqs_msds_august_9_2012.pdf

COSHH sheets aren't complete rubbish, if you spill something caustic on yourself then medical staff can quickly find the COSHH sheet for the product and know immediately what it contains and the recommended course of action even if they don't have the container.

thank you for all the answers! that does make it easier to plan a way forward. I will work on the websites and get some information together.

Nicky

COSHH aren't required unless you are a commercial beek, neither are waste transfer notes.
Plenty of sample sheets if you google it, then just fill in the info off the MSDS and label as said before. In 15 years of pest control, I'm not sure any clients or officials have ever looked, or know what they are looking at anyway.

the landowners where I am trying to get an apiary set up have requested a COSHH assessment for any chemicals you use on campus to maintain a healthy bee population.for any chemicals we use on to maintain a healthy bee population.

My apologies - Not the most useful response.

But that sounds exactly the place not to put bees.

My apologies - Not the most useful response.

But that sounds exactly the place not to put bees.

That's my feelings too.

Are they going to ask for a 20 page risk assessment of swarm situations before you can do anything?

Latest posts

Back