Conwy Honey Fair 2017

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Thanks to everybody who supported last week's 700-year old Conwy Honey Fair, the 28th organized by Conwy Beekeepers.
We had over 20 honey sellers and we sold about a tonne of honey. Our collection in aid of Bees for Development raised £585. We've raised nearly £7500 towards BfD in the last eight years, at the Honey Fairs and the Seed Fairs in March. See https://tinyurl.com/ycn6cj7w :thanks:

Congatulations on your success, I hope the weather was good for you. I have never been but would like to.
Is most of the honey sold by local hobby beekeepers or from hobby beekeepers from around the UK? Or do big suppliers sell most of the honey?

Congatulations on your success, I hope the weather was good for you. I have never been but would like to.
Is most of the honey sold by local hobby beekeepers or from hobby beekeepers from around the UK? Or do big suppliers sell most of the honey?

It's usually little people. Though there are some obviously bigger outfits. I just took 120 jars plus candles, jam with honey and fudge. Never make enough fudge. We come from mid Wales and it's a three hour drive. We make a trip of it and stay two nights. There are three great pubs in Conwy and lots of nice restaurants. Spoilt for choice

It's usually little people. Though there are some obviously bigger outfits. I just took 120 jars plus candles, jam with honey and fudge. Never make enough fudge. We come from mid Wales and it's a three hour drive. We make a trip of it and stay two nights. There are three great pubs in Conwy and lots of nice restaurants. Spoilt for choice

Thanks for your reply. Do most people sell in 12oz jars or 1lb and are the prices set the sellers or by the organiser? Also, how much space is allocated to each seller - is it marked allocated pitches or random?

Thanks for your reply. Do most people sell in 12oz jars or 1lb and are the prices set the sellers or by the organiser? Also, how much space is allocated to each seller - is it marked allocated pitches or random?

Peter McFadden of Conwy beekeepers is the guy to contact.
Some people have two tables. We had just the one little one. No shelter from the rain apart from a Brolley over the table do you have to come prepared with a plastic sheet to throw over everything. Peter allocates the places but it doesn't really matter where you are. There was a minimum price of £5 a 12 oz jar though there is nothing stopping you charging more.
Stan did all the selling and I had a good gossip with fellow beeks.

Some people have two tables. We had just the one little one. No shelter from the rain apart from a Brolley over the table do you have to come prepared with a plastic sheet to throw over everything. Peter allocates the places but it doesn't really matter where you are. There was a minimum price of £5 a 12 oz jar though there is nothing stopping you charging more.

You need to buy a little Gazebo for next time.

You need to buy a little Gazebo for next time.

Not allowed because we are set up outside shops in the main street and shopkeepers don't want their shop windows obscured....and I don't blame them.
You can have Gazebos in the square but that seems to be only for the commercial guys looking at the same sellers that are on the same pitch every year.
Happy where we were; next to Anglesey BKA where I could have a good gossip and a hearty laugh.

Thanks, getting the other half to do all the work sounds like a good plan!

Lots of info for Honey Fair stallholders and visitors on the Conwy Beekeepers' website.
We'd love to see other beekeepers' groups starting up their own honey fairs. King Edward 1st started ours in the Royal Charter of 1290. Presumably there were already plenty of beekeepers selling their honey, outside the Town Walls.

Latest posts

Back