Converting a national brood box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanCooper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I want to convert a national BB to 14x12. Can anyone tell me what I need and the best way to do it.

why convert nats have been around along time the manufactoring company's love new fads they can make more money

Easiest way is to make or buy an eke.
T's sell them.

I just got an eke from a hive company, works a treat.

Easy, remove frame runners, cut two pieces of wood 422x93x31 these go directly on top of where the frame runners where fitted, 2 more pieces for sides 460x93x19 and the last 2 pieces for the front and back 422x93x13 Glue and screw the pieces together and refit the frame runners, I made 3 for under £10
Please not the sizes are based on a hive with 19mm timber, should you have 18mm add 2mm so 422 becomes 424.

Easy, remove frame runners,

Why remove anything? I do it simpler than that - I fit the eke to the bottom of the box.

Why remove anything? I do it simpler than that - I fit the eke to the bottom of the box.

Absolutely - eke's are really useful to have around - you can also use one to convert a super to a brood, using the same method. I make mine from pallet wood.

LJ

Worth noting that while T's eke goes on top, Maisie's goes under and locates neatly into the beespace recesses on two sides of the national box.

Using an eke beneath, it is helpful to secure the eke to the bb. I have used a couple of metal strips and a few screws.
Using an eke above, lifting by the normal bb hand holds, there is no need to secure the two together.
I have the eke below, and am pleased with it - but that didn't stop me from picking up some T's sale bargains of the other type... just in case Someone (in particular) with nationals did decide to give up ...

Last edited:
I fit thin side bars to the eke with a couple screws each side to secure it to the box; screws have no more weight than its own to contend with, unless stuck to the stand.

My ekes have the same length sides and ends as those of a National, so are not just simple ekes of four pieces of wood nailed together. The long sides are rebated and the side rails are chamfered, just like the boxes. A little extra weight maybe, but worth it for longevity.

Ten year old ones are still nearly as good as new, but they were surface-coated with preservative and a couple or three coats of good quality varnish.

RAB

why convert nats have been around along time the manufactoring company's love new fads they can make more money

i don't call 1906 new,Do you? that the first 14x12 format

The need for a larger jumbo Nat 14x12 outline to the same Nat footprint was probably because that then in the early 1900s Native black bees were being replaced with imported bees (Italians) due to the isle of wight disease (CBPV). but you could still use existing Supers ,roof and floors though some went to brood and a half, while other stayed with their smaller boxes

black bees dont need such large boxes but other bees may

The national hive was not standardised until 1946 after representaiontion by Beehive makers ( Burts of Gloucester etc) in BS1300 et al ,the 14x12 format predate that standardisation but is the same footprint and the 14x12 influenced BS1300

the cutrrent sesign of the national is as late as 1960 to the revised BS modified national standard ( forgotten the BS number oooops)

Last edited:
... in BS1300 et al ,the 14x12 format predate that standardisation ...

the cutrrent sesign of the national is as late as 1960 to the revised BS modified national standard ( forgotten the BS number oooops)

Would you believe BS1300:1960 ?

(Min of Ag copy available if anyone wants it ...)

LJ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back