Conserving honeybees does not help wildlife.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wild pollinators in californian almond orchards dont stand a chance because they are not present. The almond growers kill them.

:yeahthat:

They want total control of pollinator populations as, in other part of the area they grow seedless oranges so, once the almods are pollinated they want shot of the bees so that they don't pollinate the oranges - If you read 'the beekeeper's lament' it mentions that orange growers are now suing beekeepers if there is a change of bees working the orange groves!!!!

Only in america.

When we look that almond farm, almond blooms perhaps during one month and then 11 month no pollinator has here food for further living.

It is same with rape fields in our country. Wild pollinators forage near forest edges, but they do not fly very far to sterile cultivated fields. In spring they make their nests into forests, where they have food summer long.

DJI_0005.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know where beefriendly gets those density figures. I live in the country and there are at least 30 apiaries within a 10km radius. Each of those apiaries is likely to have more than one colony. That is from BeeBase... so there will be lots of unregistered apiaries as well.

There are 314 sq Km in circle with a 10 km radius. Divide by your 30 gives you 1 per square km. Bear in mind Bee base will also have recorded old unused apiaries, it;s almost impossible to remove an unused apiary from bee base.

My original quoted number is based on total estimated hives per UK divided by land mass, minus city areas. Obviously as an average some areas will have higher and some lower densities.

There are 314 sq Km in circle with a 10 km radius. Divide by your 30 gives you 1 per square km. Bear in mind Bee base will also have recorded old unused apiaries, it;s almost impossible to remove an unused apiary from bee base.

My original quoted number is based on total estimated hives per UK divided by land mass, minus city areas. Obviously as an average some areas will have higher and some lower densities.

Surely 314/30 = approximately 10 or have things changed since my days?

You seem to have a lot recently... perhaps you need a holiday.... Australia would be nice:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

BF could at least get a boarding pass (QANTAS) yet I would suggest
you yerself may have a stumbling block there.. there are "ear to ear"
dimensional limits so as to allow all to see the big screen unimpeded.

.... one thought after a long read on not much.

Bill

Cheers Bill, visited my self many moons back...Quantas are great...never got close to the tinnie record though...apparently some Cricketers hold that one.

I now know why my relatives who emigrated to OS for £10 in the fifties came back to the UK... possibly because my uncle got a place at Oxford to study Physics?

Bill... thought you were all called Bruce???

Yeghes da

Article is undoubtedly interesting and rings true in parts but is to facile and limited in scope. As Dans earlier post and to add with greater pollination as a result of greater numbers of Bees comes better fruit set and more abundant food and forage for other wildlife forms.

It does though beg the question ... What are you doing to increase forage for all our Bees ?

We all do not have acres at our disposal,( I do as of recently and am planting swathes of Phacellia, Borage and hosts of other Pollinator friendly plants ) but even in our small plots and gardens if all Beekeepers were to plant Pollinator friendly plants it would make a difference.

Hedgerows.

I was 20 years ago in England, there was a hedge row conservation project. But meadow flower projects too.

And companies started to pay flower plantings of roundabout.

Last edited:
He is in Ireland.
What do his bees forage on now? All he is doing is providing an additional source, that's positive not negative.

Back