Compulsory registration?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Brave Gendarme?

In most other industries / situations the key way to separate out the honest from the dishonest is some kind of registration system. If done correctly it can make it very difficult for a criminal to conduct his/her operations without having to go to great lengths to maintain secrecy.
For example, if I wanted to sell alcohol without a licence it would be very hard for me to do business covertly without drawing a fair amount of suspicion to myself.
I suspect one of the reasons why none of these thefts ever results in an arrest is because the police are powerless to investigate because there is no traceability of beekeepers or apiaries.

Obviously never been to Ireland then (puchine)!

The police are not without power, (do you drive a car?),:driving: more likely uninterested in getting stung by the resulting paperwork.
Much easier for them to raise a crime number and get a fresh cup of tea!

GBH,

You are too idealistic.

Low life are responsible for thefts. If I lost a colony in winter and went out and nicked a replacement, would that be checkable by registration? I think not. My colony count is as expected.

If I do an A/S a couple of weeks ago (or less) and someone loses a colony to theft and my colony count is up by one, am I guilty? I think not. If I have a hundred and fifty colonies and, oops, I miscounted by one, am I up for a fine. I would hope not.

If I didn't have a colony until last week and register it, am I guilty of theft even though it was a swarm taking up residence? I think not.

Certainly some thefts might be traceable - if I were stupid enough to sell them on in the same marked hive, I would be guilty of thieving the hive (but not the bees?).

However the low life could not care less. They have to be caught first, and there the odds are in their favour. There are always those who want bees at cut prices, or nil cost. Registration would not deter those scenarios above, nor protect someone having someone elses marked queen after swarming!

The thread on benefits displays quite adequately that there is a large number out there who wish to destroy or misappropriate possessions. Registration is only a means of controlling the 'industry' as a means of tax collection.

Question now : Are hobbyists part of an industry? No but if the answer is 'Yes', all allotment holders might be next on the list. Tax them for each row of veg planted, whether productive or not?

So it could go on. Lots of analogies. Still would not stop the scum nicking our hives and selling them on for petty cash in their pockets; still would not stop the scum who replace their bees with ours after losing theirs over the winter; would not stop those that start beekeeping with someone's bees.

RAB

GBH,

You are too idealistic.

Low life are responsible for thefts.

They have to be caught first, and there the odds are in their favour.

Registration is only a means of controlling the 'industry' as a means of tax collection.

RAB

:iagree:

Take a look at the news, the cities are full of em!

I agree with most of what you say Rab but would venture to say that some of the problems of identifying hives etc could be overcome relatively easily.

If someone nicked one of my sheep they'd have to remove and replace the RFID ear tag in order to avoid detection. I'm sure 20 years ago people would have thought such technology for farm animals was impractical and expensive.

I think the real problem with implementing something like this in the UK is that we are mainly hobbyist beekeepers. The administration of so many small-scale beekeepers would probably be unworkable.

Anyone for Kebabs?

I agree with most of what you say Rab but would venture to say that some of the problems of identifying hives etc could be overcome relatively easily.

If someone nicked one of my sheep they'd have to remove and replace the RFID ear tag in order to avoid detection.

Not if they re-sold it with mint sauce!

So smart water is out and we are to RFID tag all the workers.

Surely this is a job for Hedgerow Pete as he checks for freedom from varroa mites.

A colony of bees is worth alot more than a sheep, virtually untraceable, more easily transportable... The item is left unsecured in secluded spots...

A colony of bees is worth alot more than a sheep, virtually untraceable, more easily transportable... The item is left unsecured in secluded spots...

It's not worth more than one of my sheep:)

I guess that depends on who's sheep it is and what they use it for... :biggrinjester:

I don't think registration would deter thieves. Car registration never deterred car thieves. It took complicated electrical systems, double sided keys, and GPS tracking to deter car theft.

A stolen hive can be broken down into many parts and sold just like a car can.

Another level of bureacracy, just what this country needs.

No thanks, I'll take my chances with the thieves.

Latest posts

Back