Combs stuck together...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norvic_chris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi good folks. I took in another swarm that had already laid down 6 combs before it was spotted; I decided not to waste all that brood/food/wax and proceeded to place the combs in empty frames using wires wrapped around the combs. All good so far, and congratulated myself on a job well done, not the neatest job but nice, well-behaved bees etc.

Now, of course, a few weeks later they have joined all the combs together – I didn’t get the spacing correct with some of the combs being outside the width of the frames. I cannot get them apart without spilling lots (I mean lots) of honey/nectar across the whole hive and the ground (and we’re heading into wasp season) and really need inspect.

So, what would you advise? Should I take all the frames apart (over a tray) and add extra ones in between the existing (I have drawn comb, some with honey in), and risk splitting the brood, just do it to one at a time over several weeks or just leave well alone! Or any other suggestions (polite!), very welcome.

Who would have thought I’d been keeping bees for over 10 years? I still feel like a novice sometimes!

Hi good folks. I took in another swarm that had already laid down 6 combs before it was spotted; I decided not to waste all that brood/food/wax and proceeded to place the combs in empty frames using wires wrapped around the combs. All good so far, and congratulated myself on a job well done, not the neatest job but nice, well-behaved bees etc.

Now, of course, a few weeks later they have joined all the combs together – I didn’t get the spacing correct with some of the combs being outside the width of the frames. I cannot get them apart without spilling lots (I mean lots) of honey/nectar across the whole hive and the ground (and we’re heading into wasp season) and really need inspect.

So, what would you advise? Should I take all the frames apart (over a tray) and add extra ones in between the existing (I have drawn comb, some with honey in), and risk splitting the brood, just do it to one at a time over several weeks or just leave well alone! Or any other suggestions (polite!), very welcome.

Who would have thought I’d been keeping bees for over 10 years? I still feel like a novice sometimes!

I'd be inclined to put a box of comb on top and leave them to it.

That's a pretty good idea, Steve -- much simpler (and more elegant?) than my suggestions!

I agree, if you have drawn comb in a box even better, even add two if they want it, then in spring remove the bottom box which should be empty.
E

Thanks Enrico -- I have plenty of drawn comb. It may also fit with the way I plan to make increase in the spring by over-wintering on double brood and then splitting them. When two beekeepers agree, surely it must be right (or a version of right, anyway!)

Thanks Enrico -- I have plenty of drawn comb. It may also fit with the way I plan to make increase in the spring by over-wintering on double brood and then splitting them. When two beekeepers agree, surely it must be right (or a version of right, anyway!)

Blimey! Agreement?
This forum is losing its edge.
Sadly, I reckon they're very sensible suggestions too.
I need a lie down...

I was given a national hive and super about 6 yrs ago- the position was, there was two frames in each, a swarm arrived, and filled out both boxes with natural comb. I left it as is, and get about 3 swarms out of it most years, some of which escape, and 1-2 supers filled. I just treat it for Varroa. Not ideal but it is interesting to see how they do with little interference.

A box on top and a queen excluder on as soon as practical, with the queen upstairs of course. Preferably move her up above the rest of the brood if on a ‘straightish’ frame.

Three weeks later, all the bottom box should be empty - at least of brood and likely honey/nectar as well.

It is not yet August! Plenty of time to sort them out.

But if you can't find the queen because of the wild comb then leave the excluder off.
E

Brilliant! That's me sorted then; consensus among all (as The Poot... says, "this forum must be losing it's edge"!) and double-boxing it will be. And as I can't find the queen I'll leave the excluder off for now (and maybe permanently until next year?). Thank you all :)

Yes, I do believe you said exactly that in the post above Swarms.

A suggestion..queens generally tend to head for the top box (warmer) might be to slip a queen excluder between after a few days and then see where eggs are. If queen in top box....wait until brood emerges from mess below and sort as you deem necessary.

A suggestion..queens generally tend to head for the top box (warmer) might be to slip a queen excluder between after a few days and then see where eggs are. If queen in top box....wait until brood emerges from mess below and sort as you deem necessary.

That may well be another good idea, and I should do it if I want to sort out the mess. Although if I want to run on double brood it may be harder next year if I don't sort the mess out! Decisions, decisions...

Latest posts

Back