Combining two nucs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
I brought back the salvaged bees and queen from the wasp attack in a nuc and have a queenless nuc so would be a good idea to unite. What’s the best way to do this please? I’m at a loss…..

If they are in boxes that won't stack eg with built in floors, you could give them both a quick spray of air freshener and transfer both into one full sized brood box. Maybe an extra spray on top once all frames are in.

I’d pop the 2 nucs beside each other find queen and pop in cage with some soft candy. Then simply combine frames into box with a squirt of deodorant/freshener between frames, pop the cage in and close up. The caging may strictly not be needed but provides me with a little reassurance and some additional safety this late in the season!

If they are in boxes that won't stack eg with built in floors, you could give them both a quick spray of air freshener and transfer both into one full sized brood box. Maybe an extra spray on top once all frames are in.
I’ve often thought this might work but never had the confidence to do it!

I've done a few unites this year with air freshener and been more impressed the more I used it.
I even had a colony on double brood which was queenless (?lost on mating flight) which I united with a swarm. I took 6 frames out of top BC, gave the BC and the swarm a spray, dumped the swarm in the gap, another spray, and slowly lowered the frames in.
I've seen zero evidence of fighting on any of the air freshener unites.

Latest posts

Back