Combining Colonies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codford

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just back from initial inspections at my out apiary. One hive is Q- (no sign of the Q and zero brood, drone or otherwise - it has plenty of stores).

I would like to combine it with a Q+ hive and split again later in the season. Unfortunately the nearest suitable hive is about 15 feet away. Is this an issue, and if so what are my options (other than moving it 3 feet a day)?

Over to the collective wisdom of the forum..!

Is this an issue,

No

Just put the box you are moving (I assume the Q- one) goes on top, by the time they've broken through and mixed they will re-orient to the new location. Although it doesn't matter whether the queen is on the bottom or top as long as the colony being moved is the top one.
But to be honest, at this time of year I would just shake them out in front of the other hives

No

Just put the box you are moving (I assume the Q- one) goes on top, by the time they've broken through and mixed they will re-orient to the new location. Although it doesn't matter whether the queen is on the bottom or top as long as the colony being moved is the top one.
But to be honest, at this time of year I would just shake them out in front of the other hives

Thanks JBM - appreciated.

Just make sure the queenless one is healthy before combining. A

Latest posts

Back