Combining and Swarms Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubi

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just got home this even at about 4pm this evening to find a swarm in my garden. I am presuming it is from one of my own hives although I haven't confirmed this yet.

One of my hives in a standard national is reasonably strong after swarming in May, while the other (in a 14x12) is very week and I believe is Q- as I haven't seen her or eggs have been seen for coming up to 8 weeks.
I was planing to put in a test frame tomorrow or possibly the weekend if the weather was playing ball but looks like I could be too late.

I do not have a spare hive or nuc available but do have a standard brood box (no roof or floor).

I have managed to cut the swarm from the bush they were in and contain the swarm in a cardboard box.

Before I rush off to buy a new floor and roof tomorrow I was wondering whether it is possible to combine this swarm directly with the weaker colony straight away?

The plan was to put the spare brood box directly on top of the weaker colony with some brood comb and use the newspaper method to combine them. The thinking behind it was that if (and it is an if) the weak colony is q- then this may solve both problems (lack of spares and Q- colony) at the same time.

If not, I will be phoning my bee equipment supplier this evening!

Cheers.

Scubi

You could, but you run the risk that your supposedly Q- hive is not, and has a substandard Q that may not amount to anything. The two "Queens" may well sort themselves out but the poor queen wins. In which case you are left in an even worse situation.

I'd beg/steal/borrow some accomodation for the swarm and go ahead with your test frame for your other hive- 24 hours and you will know the state of this hive. Only then can you make an informed decision.

Hi Scubi,
This newbie would say not just combine. I am surprised you have not got laying workers by now if you are Q-. Maybe you have still got a queen, but she is obviously no good. Test frame and new roof and floor in my opinion maybe the swarm queen will be better. Laying workers think they are Q+ and the colony with the presently non-laying queen thinks the same so they will kill your swarm queen.

Hi Scubi, I have a spare poly nat or nuc if you need to borrow one until you get sorted. I'm not too far from you, near Lyneham.

Nick.

Scubi

no sign of the Q or eggs after eight weeks? imho that's about as queenless as you can get and do as you suggest

rich

Hi Scubi, I have a spare poly nat or nuc if you need to borrow one until you get sorted. I'm not too far from you, near Lyneham.

Nick.

Thanks Nick, I have pm'd you

cheers

Chris

Scubi

no sign of the Q or eggs after eight weeks? imho that's about as queenless as you can get and do as you suggest

rich

Hi Rich,
I agree but there is still an element of doubt in my mind so I think putting a test frame in would be the most cautious way forward and hopefully that will clear up the matter (knowing my luck the test frame will prove inconclusive though).

Chris

I do not have a spare hive or nuc available but do have a standard brood box (no roof or floor).Scubi

Go and get. It is difficult to do nothing if you have not proper equipments.

I make short time roofs and bottom boards from polystyre insulation board 30 mm. You may even use thick box cartong and plastic carbage sack as roof.

Fortunately and many thanks to Freefall I have re-homed the swarm in a poly nuc with a comb of brood...just in time before the weather turns this afternoon.
I inspected the Q- hive yet again spending a good time look for a queen but still failed to see her. I have also placed a test frame in the hive and hope to get a conclusive answer very soon. If it is inconclusive I think I will need to just combine with the new swarm.
I am sure the swarm was from my strong hive as I found a few QC's which I knocked down but for two. There was a little chalk brood on some of the frames too so I will look into that a bit further.

hope to get a conclusive answer very soon.

scubi, you'll get the answer tomorrow!

let us know how it goes

rich

hope to get a conclusive answer very soon.

scubi, you'll get the answer tomorrow!

let us know how it goes

rich

Well, I managed to check the hive yesterday evening, 3 days after putting in a test frame and the results are inconclusive.

Could this be due to the weather and would it be worth just leaving the frame in there a while longer?

Back