Combining 1st thing in the morning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, due to time constraints I need to combine 2 hives in the next day or so. Normal advice is to combine last thing in the day so all flyers are in but I can't do this. Can I combine first thing in the morning- say 7.00am? Alternatively mid day.
I am thinking of the newspaper method. Hives are next to each other.

Hi all, due to time constraints I need to combine 2 hives in the next day or so. Normal advice is to combine last thing in the day so all flyers are in but I can't do this. Can I combine first thing in the morning- say 7.00am? Alternatively mid day.
Lock them in the night before, job sorted however you will still get some flying when you lift the brood box from the floor, if the hives are not too far apart the stragglers may be able to beg there way in to any hive near by.

If you are worried about flying bees, place a box in the same position to collect them for overnight. Remove the following day and any bees will find their way into next door. I don't see any particular problem that cannot easily be overcome.

If you are worried about flying bees, place a box in the same position to collect them for overnight. Remove the following day and any bees will find their way into next door. I don't see any particular problem that cannot easily be overcome.

I agree as above, but don't shut them up the night before as suggested. When you lift the brood box the chances are you will have loads of angry bees, not what you want.
E

Having the hives next to each other to begin with was a good start. However daybreak is around 03.30 so you need to set your alarm :)

Back