Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castanea

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Hi
I received a nuc 3 weeks ago, all was well, until last week.My last inspection was a nightmare, the bees have built comb between each of the brood frames.I tried to lift it out, no luck so I started to use the hive tool, on doing so I was greeted by lots of angry bees any advice?

The gap between the frames is too large. What sort of spacing technique are you using! Something is wrong! And are you using foundation?

That's what I don't understand I got the nuc from the shop I was told to transfer the nuc into the hive (which is Dadant). Everything is meant to same!! The nuc I got last year no problem nuc to hive no comb (different supplier ). My worry is I don't want to destroy comb and end up with an aggressive hive. Yes I am using foundation on the last viisit I took out the partition and added the last frame.
Thanks

Last edited:
As Enrico - what are you using to space the frames apart? castellations? plastic spacers? Hoffman self spacing frames? or some other system? there's definitely an issue with how far apart those frames are.

Just occasionally I have had wild comb built between the foundation but only when using crappy old foundation. Can you send a photo?
E

It's a nicot plastic hive with the castellations cut out. It's true the brood frames looks as though it has seen better days, as soon as I open the hive will post pictures.

Latest posts

Back