Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hombal

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Beehaus
Number of Hives
The bees have built comb from the frames, up onto the bottom of the feeder piece. This made it very difficult to lift as it was joined. I cut this away and it was full of honey, however, I dropped it in shock as I felt a sting on my foot. The bees have built some comb across the frames, I destroyed this as well. 1/3 of the hive appears to be filled with stores and I cannot see that much brood. I did not see the queen, or any queen cells, but I did see her one week ago. Can you see any problems here? How can I prevent the build up of comb?

Don't know - but check your 'bee space'. Bees will build brace comb wherever the bee space is inappropriately great. The optimum bee space is 6 to 8 mm (two bees can work back-to-back). Check for eggs, if you can't see a queen.

I saw quite a lot of sealed brood, but I must admit that I was so troubled by the comb that I forgot to check for anything else. The frames are very thick and in some places, uneven; This is why some of the spaces are perhaps too great. I tried to fix this today and I think that, in the most part, I have fixed it. The feeder is too high though, I cannot fix that, it's the beehaus design...

Yep, I noted that you were Beehaus. OK, you seem to have dealt with the comb problem. With only one colony, you are rightly concerned about lack of brood/ queen. Bear in mind that colonies may be scaling down in preparation for the big freeze but I would expect to see some brood at least. The presence of eggs will give you some peace of mind. A BH keeper will probably be along in a minute or three but, whatever the design, Queenright and stores are important considerations at this time of year.

Sounds to me like you should stop feeding.
If your BB is one third full of stores your queen is going to run out of laying space (if it hasn't happened already). If she runs out of space you'll be at risk of swarming.
This might also be why they are building extra comb everywhere - to accomodate all the surplus food.

Bee spaces are there for a reason. If you give them more than a bee space they will use it to build comb. This can be really annoying and will hamper inspections, extractions etc. Try and replace the old thick frames over time with new ones that are the right spacing. The best way to do this is to build a whole new brood box with new frames and put it on top of the present one at right angles to the one below. the bees will start to move upwards. In spring the queen will start laying in the top box and all the honey from the bottom brood will be eaten. You then remove the old bottom brood box and the top brood is your nice new neat one!!!!
Don't try and soldier on with the bee spaces all wrong. They will never right themselves and the bees will take advantage!

I can't mess about with brood boxes as I am using a beehaus. :(
I added them nearly two weeks ago, have been feeding for the duration. I am planning to remove the feed today/tomorrow as there is quite a lot of stuff going into the hive.

Operation: Remove feed was successful. The top board is now replaced. :) I am hoping that, because there is no feed above it, they will not build the comb upwards. *shrug*

where did you put the extra frame? outside the solid wall of stored honey?

i'd have split the brood with the frame in the middle.

Back