Comb management question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for the smileys :) would you concede that your original "really....?" proved unjustified given you subsequently admitted : "I do not disagree that a significant barrier (nor indeed any restriction of the circulation of queen substance) will prompt queen raising on the far side, " ?

would you concede that your original "really....?" proved unjustified given you subsequently admitted : "I do not disagree that a significant barrier (nor indeed any restriction of the circulation of queen substance) will prompt queen raising on the far side, " ?

If this is what passes for discussion in your household... :rolleyes:

If a colony is strong enough to cope with foundation being added in the middle of the brood nest, is it at all likely to be so fragmented as to have this induce queen raising? They can, after all, walk round said foundation on four sides and mingle with their sisters. If they're not big enough to work around one sheet of foundation, aren't they so much more likely to just retreat to one side or the other, neglecting brood along the way, that start queen raising? I don't understand the point you're making. Do you?

By significant barrier, I don't mean one sheet of foundation. Think Demaree, or a split board, or similar. You have done this, haven't you?

Clearly you're lacking in experience if oyu've not seen a q cell started ont other side of a frame of foundation splitting the brood ( before you start, I wouldnt advocate splitting a weak colony's brood up, I have used splitting boards and I've even made the odd mistake occasionally, have you ?)

MBC - I get the feeling you want to have a dig and this is merely your vehicle for doing so. What's your real grievance?

MBC - I get the feeling you want to have a dig and this is merely your vehicle for doing so. What's your real grievance?

No grievance, axe to grind, grudge or agenda, simply that I posted that I'd seen what another poster was describing and that you were questioniong the validity, everything else has followed and the only downside is that irts been more snipeing than bee biology. (have another smiley :confused:)

Latest posts

Back