Colony ejecting drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Woods

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Nice hot day today - I thought the colony that lives above my front door was going to swarm today as the entrance hole was thick with bees - but they appear to have ejected a large number of drones and the bees are actively preventing them returning home - I have a large number of dead and dying drones on my doorstep now.

Is it normal for a colony to kick out the drones and aggresively prevent their return?

Nice hot day today - I thought the colony that lives above my front door was going to swarm today as the entrance hole was thick with bees - but they appear to have ejected a large number of drones and the bees are actively preventing them returning home - I have a large number of dead and dying drones on my doorstep now.

Is it normal for a colony to kick out the drones and aggresively prevent their return?

It's quite normal for us blokes to get the harsh end of the female's.;) not so sure about Bee's

could be low on stores, how much capped honey have you in the hive

This isn't my hive - this is a wild colony that moved into a hole above my front door a week before we moved into our new home - they live in between our walls. Plently of pollen being taken in - but lots of doomed drones :(

I noticed mine doing that today aswell.

wondered if it was because it was because they all have new queens in them. but the stores comment might be more of the reason. they are new colonies and still drawing brood comb so have added feed for them tonight as all 3 were very low on stores.

Back