Colonies delaying swarming... or supercedure

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonB

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have two colonies where due to the weather, and some misjudgment/mistakes on my part I have allowed to reach capped queen cell stage.

However neither had swarmed. By my rough calculations one had a capped queen cell for a day or so before I ASed them, but the other was more like 3-4 days. In fact the second hive I only went into today to knock back unwanted QCs but noticed eggs and so went looking for the queen. Found her and marked her and ASed them.

I have read that the 8 day/capped QC rule does not always apply but was surprised to see it in both colonies.

I did wonder about supercedure but the quantity and positioning of QCs was not consistent with supercedure, as I understand it. I have seen supercedure before and there were two QCs in the middle of a frame.

The AS part of the colony that was ASed on Wednesday is raising new QCs, three with eggs, one with jelly. Is this likely just that the swarm fever has not been quashed, or might they be trying to supercede? I suspect there's no easy way to tell, I will keep an eye on them. I transferred one frame of brood with queen and one frame of stores on to fresh foundation. Today I gave them a feed.

Two questions then

1. Is the swarm delay quite common? The weather here has been reasonable, other than the rain last week, but now been dry and relatively warm for a few days.

2. What might be the best way to deal with an AS still wanting to swarm?

Thanks

EDIT: Just to add, there was no indication of either queen failing, good laying pattern and BIAS, drone brood in small regions.

Last edited:
Had exactly the same thing last week. Weather was good. QC's in both position bottom and middle. Queens looked to bebperforming well. I did the AS and am monitoring now.

1. Is the swarm delay quite common?

No, but noticed much more this last two seasons. Unlikely to occur if the weather is eminently suitable for swarming.

2. What might be the best way to deal with an AS still wanting to swarm?

Assuming you have followed the Padgen method, break down the cells until the virgin in the parent colony has emerged. Then move the colony within the apiary to lose flying bees - all supposing the weather is conducive. They ought to settle by then, but no guarantee, with bees, of course!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back