Clover?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure how rich white clover nectar is. Perhaps they have other richer sources available. I find many bees on my lawns clover but usually late afternoons on warm days.

I remember reading something about the nectar being more available after the grass they were on being cut. Something to do with the length of the nectar production tubes. Anyway, seems to have made no difference to my bees who ignore the fields full over clover right on their doorstep.

The field could have been reseeded with a clover crop for silaging next year. We currently have a field of clover that we have cropped for 3 years, in the right climate you can get 3 cuts a year (2 in Wales if you're lucky). The clover varieties are not any use to honeybees as the flowers are too big for their tongues but the bumbles like them. This is actually the case with most clovers used in grass mixes for silage but when the flowers grow back after cutting they are smaller though by that time the bramble is out and is a greater attraction.

No, the land has been fallow since the nursery closed c.12 years ago. I'm pretty sure it wasn't reseeded - just allowed to colonise. The hay he rakes off is no good for fodder or his horses or goats so he burns or composts it. The grass and herbiage is quite thin rather than luxuriant i.e. what wild flowers enjoy I believe. The field is never stocked with horse/cow/sheep/goats.

Last edited:
I have read that caucasian bees (Apis mellifera caucasica) have a broader range of forage (particularly clovers and red clover) as they have a longer tongue. Queens are available in UK. Not for me as wet cappings are an absolute no.

Bees working clover very well here this year. Warm and humid seems to do it. (Bit too humid here on Monday/Tuesday - don't suppose the bees could see where they were going!).

Magwat, I was just about to say the same modern clover no good to HB until after cutting and flower size reduce. Then temps have to be high for nectar production.

I remember reading something about the nectar being more available after the grass they were on being cut. Something to do with the length of the nectar production tubes. Anyway, seems to have made no difference to my bees who ignore the fields full over clover right on their doorstep.

That what you mention is regarding red clover ( Trifolium pratense). At my place after more cutting then you can see bees on it. Earlier can be sought when bumblebees chew from aside the flower and ease access to bees for nectar.
White clover when conditions are right, fill supers nicelly and whole field smells nicelly. At my place considered right temp for high yielding nectar 18-23 Celsius.
Also not less important honey from clovers is considered to be excellent for overwintering.

Forgot, I didn't sow our white clover, we just cut the meadow more frequently and it spread as on a pic..

Attachments

• white clover.JPG
    white clover.JPG
    560.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Bees all over the white clover here in Pembs
No lawn any more ..... Just a wild jungle apparently
How the heck did I ever have time to cut the lawn?

Here I am, avoiding cutting the grass because the clover has flowered. It's up to the little one's knees! It's getting cut tomorrow(ish) ;)

I don't know I got the idea ' but I thought clover was no good, unless it had been cut early in the year ! Reason ...
First Flowers are to deep for the honey bee to reach the nectar !!!
Hence always clovered in Bumbles !!!

Back