Closing up my Hive for Tree Works

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Rickbee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello
Can anyone offer any advice. I keep my hive in private gardens. 3 days of tree cutting have been scheduled. The contractor has refused to start the works until my bees are closed up each day. I have no choice but to comply.

My plan was to block the entrance the night before, use a rapid feeder as a water supply, raise the crown board with matchsticks for additional ventilation and open again as soon as the work stopped each afternoon so at least the bees got out for a few hours and then repeat until complete. I would appreciate any experiences that can be shared to help minimise any stresses to the bees and any advice on how to handle food and water and any changes to the hive configuration.

Yes, block in each evening about 10pm then release as soon as he has left the premises next day. Repeat daily. Don't need to matchstick if OMF. If foul weather they will stay in without extra supplies ,wont they?. Bit inconvenient for them but has to be done.
Forecast not too hot for next week. Going to be great last week May apparently though

I had 2 trees cut down last year and had to close me hives for 2 days. Just make sure they have enough stores and thatthey won't get too hot

I think the contractor is right. It's a pain for your bees but better than people being stung. Shut up as above (assuming they have sufficient stores for a few days) and let them out later on in the day - longer evenings should mean they get a chance to relieve themselves if weather permits.

And be sure your hives are "leakproof" - and I'm not talking rainwater...

Rick
- assuming you are on V. floor- make sure they've enough empty comb/foundation then block the entrance, put on a rapid feeder with 1:1 syrup and leave alone until work finished

Back