Clearing Supers on Demareed Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerryBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This year I have tried Demaree for the first time. So far so good.

Current setup is: floor, BB with Q now with 5 frames of brood, QE, 3 supers,QE, upper entrance for drones, BB with emerging brood.
I am intending to cycle frames of sealed brood from the bottom box to top, and empty frames from top to bottom, as advised by JBM on another thread.

So my question is: What is the best way to clear the supers when the OSR finishes flowering and I need to extract? This will probably be in early June.

You will still need a couple of supers between the Broods if you are going to continue with the Demarree - replace the supers you want cleared with fresh supers, put the top box back as per usual, then clearer board then the supers you want to extract right at the top.
By the way - it's George Demarree who advised cycling the frames I'm only repeating his advice :)

Many thanks for your advice

JB, when cycling broodframes from the top box of a Demaree to the bottom, do you select frames to move down that are sealed and emerging brood or those backfilled with nectar? I am intrigued to find out if combs of honey or nectar when placed down in the bottom broodnest are cleared to the supers (to free up laying space for the Q)?
If queen cells in the top box are left too long and become sealed, does this precipitate a swarm from the Q in the bottom box (or are the top and bottom broodnests disconnected (being too far apart as separated by 2 supers)? And are weekly inspections for queen cells necessary in both bottom and top boxes (assuming eggs and young brood are cycled up into the top box weekly)? I use Commercial broodboxes and am trying Demareeing this year following your useful revelations; the top boxes are going to become very heavy if stores aren't cleared to the supers! Glad the new eyesight is helping your enjoyment of the bees.

Presence of sealed QC's in the top box does not usually precipitate swarming in the bottom box (never ever say never where bees are involved!) I had two Demarrees yesterday with sealed QC's in for making nucs up.
You still need weekly inspections - in the bottom box in case they decide to swarm anyway and, once it begins to fill up, to remove brood and put into top box. With the top box you need to check regularly for QC's as they will carry on making them as long as you give them fresh material.
Try to move frames back down with as little capped brood in as possible although there is no harm in moving frames down which are over 50% emerged IMHO.
As for frames with stores in, as long as the bottom box is not chock a bloc with brood and the frames in the top aren't chock a bloc with food, no problem I should think.
That is the problem with big boxes like commercials, is the weight when they store up top, but saying that, by the same measure, half emerged frames will also give more than enough room in the bottom for the queen to lay. Only thing I can suggest is, if you need to put an additional super on, put it above the top box and see if that works (tempted to do the same myself :D)

Latest posts

Back