Clearing land of Horse flies?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aberreef

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives + 3 nucs
Been cutting some grass around parts of the field earlier and got absolutely pasted by the Horse Flies. I'm just glad I don't react too badly to their bites, I copped about 15 on the hands:eek: along with who knows how many on my head and neck. In the end I resorted to strimming wearing my bees smock:rolleyes:

Does anyone know of a way to clear the land of these hatefull little sods please? Last year I had a go at making a trap (based on the one on this pagehttp://extension.missouri.edu/p/G7013) which caught a few but not many.

HELP, I'm due to start cutting hay in a few weeks and can't face it with this many biters:mad:

Cheers
Huw

Would an insect repellent work? I'm thinking of something like Jungle Juice?

I don't think you'll have much luck killing or trapping them, but you might repel them.

I'm not sure tbh but wil try again. I used some last year but towards the end of their season so not so many about. Today was just insane, I've never seen so many :(

They're always bad at this time of year, and this year is worse then ever.
(I read somewhere they breed in mud, or need mud to breed, or something to do with mud. So perhaps the endless rain hasn't helped).

Wearing coveralls helps, and use an insect repellent specific to horseflies (ask at the pharmacy) for the uncovered bits!

Good insect repellant combined with taking garlic tablets works for me. The garlic tabs are a tip from my aussie reletives.

Baggy

I'm not sure tbh but wil try again. I used some last year but towards the end of their season so not so many about. Today was just insane, I've never seen so many :(

What have top bar hives got to do with it? :leaving:

citronella, spray field with light spray gets rid of flies, horsey people use it in there stable bedding to stop fly attacks also you can get citronella candles to get rid when you have a bar-b-q

Be cautious about excessive use of citronella.
I first encountered its widespread personal use in Australia to keep mozzies away and again in New Zealand.
It was in New Zealand that i met a lot of people with allergic reactions to citronella - they couldn't remain in the same room as someone using a citronella based mozzie/insect deterrent for very long before starting to react adversely. Most of these folk who were allergic to citronella had developed an allergic reaction over time and in fact had used copious amounts of it in the past as they lead very outdoors based lives. Too much of a good thing perhaps.

i did say light sprays as you have said you can be allergic to it as with all products too much is bad for anyone like lemon grass can also cause irritation if you use too much

Back