cleaning round plastic fast feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you clean propolis out of the confined inner bit of the underside? Having soaked, and scraped and fiddled about is life long enough to donate about an hour each to this job, excluding soaking times! Best in hot or cold washing soda?
Invert the feeder and fill the space with strong washing soda and a bit of bleach. Let it soak. Alternatively fill the space with Milton or equivalent.

Good point, there's a basic mis-match there between the design of the plastic feeder (French) and the usual National cover board (UK). Is there scope for one of the larger manufacturers to commission a matching hole version? A quick/cheap alternative in the meantime might be a blank cut from something thin (ice cream tub lid?) to cover the void leaving only a circular hole. Could be attached to the board, or maybe easier taped to the feeder - peel off and the cavity only needs a quick rinse end of season. Making a couple to try is on the winter list.
I make my own clear plastic crown board and drill a 25mm hole in the centre. It helps to draw a circle around the feeder which simplifies positioning when on a hive full of bees

I hadn't spotted that!
Do NOT use hot water on feeders especially with propolis or you will end up with googh use warm water in container i.e bucket etc with Soda Crystals great for cleaning tools also and a scoop of crystals in washing machine is great when washing Beekeeping suit no other cleaning materials is needed. Oops feeders can go in dishwasher once propolis is removed that's if you are fortunate enough to have one, or just get a human to finish cleaning feeders for taking the girls honey....Happy cleaning guys.

Do NOT use hot water on feeders especially with propolis or you will end up with googh use warm water in container i.e bucket etc with Soda Crystals great for cleaning tools also and a scoop of crystals in washing machine is great when washing Beekeeping suit no other cleaning materials is needed. Oops feeders can go in dishwasher once propolis is removed that's if you are fortunate enough to have one, or just get a human to finish cleaning feeders for taking the girls honey....Happy cleaning guys.
No bleach in feeders remember aargghhh

why not? ideal for sterilising them, which if you are so obsessed with cleaning them is the logical next step.
Honey is for the foodchain & yes you have to be aware of hygiene, are you registered with and done a course with a Beekeeping association?

Nothing wrong with bleach to clean feeders , after all they wil be rinsed .
Bleach is used for clensing poly as well as stuff like Virkon so no reason why feeders can't get the same treatment.

Honey is for the foodchain & yes you have to be aware of hygiene, are you registered with and done a course with a Beekeeping association?
what has that got to do with the price of coal?
Is that where you were misinformed?
Rather than having done a course with the local BKA, I've taught a few of them.
I did my first higher level food hygiene ticket with the Royal Environmental Health Institute in Leith in 2005 and also hold a Level 2 Food safety for Manufacturing certificate.
I'm also registered as a primary food producer with my local authority.

Latest posts

Back