cleaning queen excluders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bin it and buy a wire one instead is the easiest solution, otherwise as what finman said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Test a similar plastic first but temperatures in solar melters generally sit between the melting point of wax and of plastics. One of the joys of mine is bunging in a pile of (wire) excluders. At this time of the year, it can be as simple as a sheet of class on the excluder on a pile of newspaper. Experiment.

Never clean or sterelise a wire one with a flame gun, a) it catches fire, b) the bars get hot and expand leaving larger gaps that the queen can get through!!!!!!
E

Never clean or sterelise a wire one with a flame gun, a) it catches fire, b) the bars get hot and expand leaving larger gaps that the queen can get through!!!!!!
E

Never clean or sterilise a plastic one with a flame gun, either. Thought I better add this to avoid people making wrong assumptions after enrico’s post.:)

I knew exactly what you where saying and i could see warping being a issue from burning with a flame, and i could also imagine the chromed wire excluders becoming rusty once heated like that.

He was just having a gentle dig as I pulled him up on lack of explanation in a thread. All in good taste!

He was just having a gentle dig as I pulled him up on lack of explanation in a thread. All in good taste!

OMG 2 people having a bit of banter and not upsetting everyone must check I'm not on another site by mistake lol

OMG 2 people having a bit of banter and not upsetting everyone must check I'm not on another site by mistake lol

Don't worry normal service will be resumed shortly :)
Although you are right it makes a pleasant change.....

Yesterday, I spent part of a wet morning cleaning the comb off a wire excluder with a hive tool and a stanley knife. In the afternoon, the sun came out for a short time and I put the excluder in an upturned roof covered by a sheet of rigid clear acrylic. The wax started to melt until the sun went in.

Any thoughts or suggestions to clean a wire excluder ?

NO --- I am not moving to a sunnier country.

I thought propolis had antispetic properties so apart from its stickiness and propensity for lumps to form which may mean gaps forming, why would anyone want to remove it from anything?

Latest posts

Back