Cleaning frames & boxes with bleach

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee Bob Delux

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Watched a video last night of the "Fat Bee Man" cleaning old frames by soaking in mild solution of bleach for 10 mins after scraping.

I was going to dip/scrub my old Warre boxes as well if it's OK. Some mildew & poo stains etc

What's the current thinking here is this OK?
Sounds too strong to me?
Residual smell?

BBD

just rinse it off with a hosepipe straight after and it will be fine.

(I de-tannin teapots using bleach, you can't taste it after rinsing off!)

Watched a video last night of the "Fat Bee Man" cleaning old frames by soaking in mild solution of bleach for 10 mins after scraping.

I was going to dip/scrub my old Warre boxes as well if it's OK. Some mildew & poo stains etc

Sounds too strong to me?
Residual smell?

BBD

Bleach is the common name for Sodium Hypochlorite. In a 2-4% solution it's perfect for disinfecting hive parts. However, there's a gotcha: since it's water-based, it's not going to get under any wax or propolis, so you need to make certain that's all gone first.

I see how we can use bleach on polys as it doesnt soak in but with wood would it not soak in then when it dries out, even after rinsing off, chrystalise on the inside of the box?

Sounds too strong to me?
Residual smell?

BBD
SOP for polystyrene

That is bad idea. Use gas flame to wood surface.

Lye is ment to polyhives. Wood absorbs lye and it is poisonous to bees.

Frames are boiled in 3% lye water. Frames are clean like new after boiling.
Heat looses the wax and poo and lye turns it soap.
If lye is too liittle, wax foam will accumulate on surface of water and it attaches again to frames.

10 frames is easier to clean with gas flame.

-

Last edited:
I see how we can use bleach on polys as it doesnt soak in but with wood would it not soak in then when it dries out, even after rinsing off, chrystalise on the inside of the box?

keeep in mind you are using low concentrations...

Bleach is very unstable. Hypochlorite is a strong oxidiser so it will oxidize organic matter (propolis, wood, sugars) and degrade very quickly. even if it does not react, exposed to light, it will degrade fast. a couple of days of airing and it will be all gone.

Back