Cleaning bees wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How can I clean bees wax off pot and pans and things?
Regards
Liam C

put them in a big pan of boiling water. then do the same with that pan. and so on ad infinitum.

PS - i've you've got beeswax on your thing you're doing it wrong!

How can I clean bees wax off pot and pans and things?
Regards
Liam C

Ah, you've been melting wax!

Wait until it is cold, use cold water and chip it off. Hot water is a disaster, it just gets really sticky.

Edit - two beeks, two different answers. Boiling water will certainly clear it, but then everything the water touches gets a film of wax on it.

"Boiling water will certainly clear it, but then everything the water touches gets a film of wax on it."

hence the "and so on ad infinitum" comment.

Have never really had this problem, but maybe you could stick it in the freezer for a few hours then chip it off.

Don't use your best pots and pans for wax in the first place,keep some old one's for this purpose,then you don't need to clean them.

Boiling the pot full of water will bring wax to the surface. Then, when cold, only a small ring to clean off. Scrape and Turps subs will get it off.

But as Hivemaker says, use pans designated for the purpose.

RAB

washing soda works wonders

Boil the pan with a solution of washing soda in and then rinse out once wax dissolved (most big supermarkets stock it and its not dear). Great for boiling old frames in as well!

... Boiling water will certainly clear it, but then everything the water touches gets a film of wax on it.

Dry the pan and utensils with a paper kitchen towel while they're still hot before dunking them a second time in hot water. That helps to mop up the 'film of wax' problem.

Latest posts

Back