Clarkson’s Farm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tbh, he gets a beekeeper in to do the work it appears. It's a 5 minute segment.

The series is fantastic entertainment and quite a few people have said they have learnt more about farming and their issues with Clarkson than what they have with BBC's Country file.

Comments on Country file is that the program tends to be non controversial and lacks any nitty gritty of farming, it just does not want to show any real getting hands dirty that Clarkson does. Maybe Clarkson as an outsider although having owned the Farm for 15 years knows what is interesting to the 95% of the population that the country file team think everyone knows about already or wouldn't be interested in.

Last edited:
Tbh, he gets a beekeeper in to do the work it appears. It's a 5 minute segment.

The series is fantastic entertainment and quite a few people have said they have learnt more about farming and their issues with Clarkson than what they have with BBC's Country file.

Comments on Country file is that the program tends to be non controversial and lacks any nitty gritty of farming, it just does not want to show any real getting hands dirty that Clarkson does. Maybe Clarkson as an outsider although having owned the Farm for 15 years knows what is interesting to the 95% of the population that the country file team think everyone knows about already or wouldn't be interested in.

The only vaguely reliable bit of Countryfile is the weather forecast.

Ask farmers about Countryfile and it's definitely controversial for showing what suits the producers' political views rather than the reality of farming and is completely scripted. One of the local shearers has been on it and you only get to say what they want you to say. I did a lambing placement a few year back when Schmallenberg Virus first hit. The shepherd where I was was local NSA head and was approached for a piece about how it was impacting his lambing season. When he told them it wasn't really as bad as the hype and wouldn't say it was, they used another local farmer who said what they wanted him to.

Clarkson's Farm is brilliant (edit: agree with you, just got the hump with Countryfile).

I did a lambing placement a few year back when Schmallenberg Virus first hit. The shepherd where I was was local NSA head and was approached for a piece about how it was impacting his lambing season. When he told them it wasn't really as bad as the hype and wouldn't say it was, they used another local farmer who said what they wanted him to.

That sounds vaguely familiar. ccd.

Ask farmers about Countryfile and it's definitely controversial for showing what suits the producers' political views rather than the reality of farming and is completely scripted. One of the local shearers has been on it and you only get to say what they want you to say. I did a lambing placement a few year back when Schmallenberg Virus first hit. The shepherd where I was was local NSA head and was approached for a piece about how it was impacting his lambing season. When he told them it wasn't really as bad as the hype and wouldn't say it was, they used another local farmer who said what they wanted him to.

Clarkson's Farm is brilliant (edit: agree with you, just got the hump with Countryfile).
It's never been the same since Craven took over and it changed from (I think) the 'Farming Programme' to Countryfile. He should have stuck to children's newsround really. I remember Sundays as a kid when there were at least three proper farming programmes on, two in the morning and one evening IIRC, but what Craven produces is just a sanitised theme park version of a vaguely farming related programme.

It's never been the same since Craven took over and it changed from (I think) the 'Farming Programme' to Countryfile. He should have stuck to children's newsround really. I remember Sundays as a kid when there were at least three proper farming programmes on, two in the morning and one evening IIRC, but what Craven produces is just a sanitised theme park version of a vaguely farming related programme.

Funny you should mention that specific individual who happens to be the one who presented the Schmallenberg segment...

Nice bit of entertainment. If you want a global view on farming. Ice age farmer is interesting

Anything you watch with the BBC these days have subliminal messages tailored to their political agenda , I don’t watch the BBC , they don’t get a penny off me in tv license , I’d rather give the dosh to the likes of Amazon for producing good shows like Clarksons farm , roll on season 2!

My iPad with BBC weather and my postcode much, much better so Country files offer is a complete waste of good program time for me.

Had a friend who went there. The queue was three hours long so he just went in the shop. He spent over £100 £11 .50 of that on 8 Oz of bee juice. aaaaaaahhhhhhhh😳

Had a friend who went there. The queue was three hours long so he just went in the shop. He spent over £100 £11 .50 of that on 8 Oz of bee juice. aaaaaaahhhhhhhh😳
I'm afraid that's what mine is at full price in the butcher. <ADD> Ah no that's wrong: mine are 12 Oz</ADD>

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread but just watched the end of season two. Looks like they're running two queen hives using side by side nucs. I assume these are then stacked to get mega colonies.

Does anyone else use this approach?

Bumping an old thread but just watched the end of season two. Looks like they're running two queen hives using side by side nucs. I assume these are then stacked to get mega colonies.

Does anyone else use this approach?
Done that and that system requires a lot of attention

Latest posts

Back