Christmas List

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordicul

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

I'm putting together my Christmas list and would like your input.

I have presently Two Modified National hives that started as overwintered Nucs this year (They are both holding their weight and taking down fondant)
and a completely empty hive.

I have 10 supers in total, also two empty Poly Nucs, (Paynes and Maisemore.)

Going forward to next year, I would like to have three full hives, a backup empty hive and to have re queened one of my hives . I would also like to have reared my own Queens and have six Nucs ready to overwinter. I plan to make 4 additional Nuc boxes

So on my list I'm looking for a complete hive, 4 Apideas and a Nicot (Cupkit) system and a partridge in a ..... There probably are easier/cheaper ways to achieve my plan but it is Christmas :xmas-smiley-010: So any thoughts?
Nordicul

some ideas to help with your plan.Books for the lower budget list.

Ted Hooper - Guide to Bees and honey -

David Woodward - Biology Rearing and breeding

Joy Whitcombe - Principles of Bee Improvement

Rather than Apideas get more full sized poly nucs.

some ideas to help with your plan.Books for the lower budget list.

Ted Hooper - Guide to Bees and honey -

David Woodward - Biology Rearing and breeding

Joy Whitcombe - Principles of Bee Improvement

:winner1st:
The Principles of Bee Improvement Paperback – 13 Feb 2015
by Jo Widdicombe (Author)

Jo Widdicombe is probably the most experiences beekeepers in the South West
and has a vast depth of knowledge on keeping bees....

Nadelik Lowen

Linoleum boneypart said “You don’t need queen rearing gubbins”

Awww!

I got a big list myself this year , What's a modified national ??

It's called a modified National as the original national, which had double walled
endpanels to accomodate the long lugs, was modified towards the beginning of the second world war to save on wood (which is where the side rails came from) originally all sides would have been flat with two hand holds machined into them for lifting (looking very much like commercials - originally called the National Major)
Nothing at all to do with the Americans.

Jo Widdicombe is probably the most experiences beekeepers in the South West
and has a vast depth of knowledge on keeping bees....
That would be the Jo who took the time and trouble to personally email me to tell me all Danish Buckfast bees where simply Italian x Carniolan crosses.
What a twit. Normally I'd use an a instead of i ;).

I have been buying kit through out the year and Making what i can...open mesh floors/crown boards and stands..that will give me enough equipment to take me to the hive count i want with some spare boxes to play with..
All i need to do now is buy a few more six frame poly nucs for making more colonies with bought in mated Queens next year as i can not be done with rearing my own Queens as it is too hit and miss getting virgins mated through the local swallow population.

That would be the Jo who took the time and trouble to personally email me to tell me all Danish Buckfast bees where simply Italian x Carniolan crosses.
What a twit. Normally I'd use an a instead of i ;).

I don't personally know the chap or if he is a txxt, but I believe he is in the east of the Duchy and keeps black bees on a commercial basis. I understand he does very well with them.
S

You ought to be aware that Queen raising takes a lot of resources . Even mating mini nucs need to be filled with bees and full size nucs require drawn frames plus store and brood..With only a few hives, you will struggle to find those in early Spring unless your climate (or the weather) is warm in Spring..

You will likely find you can raise queens or honey but not both in any volume..unless we have another very good summer.

Of course if you only want 2-3 queens, that is less demanding than say 6-8.

For myself I assume that out of 8 full hives, two will be robbed of frames and brood for queen rearing and two will be late starters and produce not much leaving 4 to produce honey...

My wish is that one and all have as good a beekeeping season next year as we had in the one past.

Nadelik Lowen

Thanks Millet and Madasafish for the heads up on the Queens.

Might have to re think it......I thought though the idea in Queen rearing was to have your own Q's. Available in the Spring to cover Winter losses as its v difficult to purchase Q's springtime?

Can you give me an idea what 3-4 mated Queens, from a good stock costs and how that would compare with rearing kit and Apideas?

Thanks

€50 per mated queen is the usual going rate.
Why don't you wait until one of your colonies starts swarm prep and use those QCs to make up small nucs

Latest posts

Back