Checking foraging

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rastus

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
It's easy to see how pollen gathering is going by just by looking at the loads carried by returning foragers, Is there any similar way to spot how much nectar foragers are carrying?

Not unless you catch one and weigh her. You can spot them or water collectors returning to the entrance though. Their abdomen is distended and they come in with a tail down approach, like a jet landing on an aircraft carrier. Weighing the hive regularly will give you a idea as the weight goes up

Heavy foragers return with their abdomens hanging down. They might be full of water though.
Edit.....snap

It is easy see, when bees carry nectar load into the hive. But in the morning during 2 hours it ns be drinking water.

Abdomen is big and it is hanging a little bit when stomac is full.

You may cut the abdomen and taste the nectar. A surprise is that biggest loads are water.

Last edited:
Once I looked bees flying back and forth beside the rape field.

I cut some bees and saw thar their stomac was empty. Difficult to believe when I look that vigorous flying.

Who cares? As long as there is more than sufficient stores to get to the next inspection? Hefting hives is the usual winter/spring check.

Once I looked bees flying back and forth beside the rape field.

I cut some bees and saw thar their stomac was empty. Difficult to believe when I look that vigorous flying.
Cut some bees?

Latest posts

Back