Cheap Photography Software

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
Ivr got a Nikon D 90.

I want to buy some software cheap, basic software enable me to crop, adjust etc my photos.

The Nikon software retails for about £130 which is way too steep for me.

Photoshop Elements 10 is about £70 but I was warned off this by my local camera shop.

There are a few free ones online (Gimp, Picasso) but my anti virus sotware wont let me download them.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Get better antivirus software. There's plenty of excellent free AV software available - I use AVG.

Download Gimp.

Get better antivirus software. There's plenty of excellent free AV software available - I use AVG.

Download Gimp.
:iagree:

Either that or check the antivirus settings to let it allow you to download Gimp.

Dump the rubbish operating system, download Linux Mint, forget all about viruses etc, then use Digikam (which is the dog's danglies) or GIMP (both are available for the execrable Windoze if you really must) - if all else fails, Picasa is simple and effective

paint.net is another good one to use and avast anti virus is free but I can't believe software did not come with your camera, canon comes with lots of software for photo editing

Nikon cameras come with a 2 month trial, then you have to fork out £130 - rip off

Complain to Nikon Kick up a huge fuss and tell them that canon's software is free and demand a refund or post the rip off on Facebook and get a campaign going.
Did you know in this country has a fare usage act that allows you to take electrical items back to the supplier up to five years old. Something that is kept in the dark by insurance companies when they try and sell you cover for electrical items, another rip off by insurance companies and banks !!!!!!

Picassa 3 is the best free software I've seen The red eye removal works . You can do owt you like .It even offers free web album storage :D
VM

"but my anti virus sotware wont let me download them" - that really worries me - it's typical Windoze arrogance - it's your computer, you decide what goes on! - it's one of the many things that drove me away from Windows altogether....

"but my anti virus sotware wont let me download them" - that really worries me - it's typical Windoze arrogance - it's your computer, you decide what goes on! - it's one of the many things that drove me away from Windows altogether....

I use 'Windoze' 7, also Micrsoft security essentials !
I have no trouble down loading Piccasa 3 or indeed using it's web album.
Microsoft don't decide what I down load . Their antivirus package still allows you to make the ultimate decision !
VM

None of that "this is a Windoze machine, and don't you forget it" nonsense with Ubuntu or Linux Mint - you click on "software centre" - find in the lists the programme you want to install (in this case, Picasa, GIMP or Digikam), click "install", enter your password, then sit back while it installs.......

Ivr got a Nikon D 90.

Photoshop Elements 10 is about £70 but I was warned off this by my local camera shop.

I would be interested to know why they warned you off Elements. Other than the general anti Windows comments I have never heard anything detrimental said about it.

It costs money (paying for software - how "last century" - there is "open source")...... and there are infinitely better programmes available for free.
I've wasted many hours trying to get my head round Photoshop (to no avail) down the years, and having tried many cut down versions of it as well, I found it possibly the most unintuitive software ever written - best avoided!

It costs money (paying for software - how "last century" - there is "open source")...... and there are infinitely better programmes available for free.
I've wasted many hours trying to get my head round Photoshop (to no avail) down the years, and having tried many cut down versions of it as well, I found it possibly the most unintuitive software ever written - best avoided!

A valid opinion but it doesn't tell me what the why camera shop warned them off.

Personally I have no problem with CS5 but I suppose much is to do with what you want/need and are used to.

I would still be interested in why the camera shop warned them off Elements.

CS5 is an amazing bit of software, just read and watch tutorials and play along with the pros and you'll be surprised what you can do. I don't think I would pay all that money for it though try torrent downloads

As a simple crop and rotate tool on Windows, Irfanview is about as simple as it gets. It's free for personal use and views/converts a wide range of picture formats. Doesn't even need to be installed, works from the utility usb stick.

Imagemagick for bulk command line, Gimp for the complex stuff but 90% of the time Irfanview does the job.

Thay warned my off Photoshop because they said something like - that if a photo was downloaded into Photoshop it then couldnt be read by Nikon software in the future so I would in effect be locked in to photoshop forever.

I think thats what he said

I have since realised that windows has some basic software, ill have a look at that.

I had a go at downloading picassa, my Norton software advised me to stop which I did. Now everytime I load the internet I get messages saying ive won a prize and to enter a suspicious site!! How do I get rid of this ?

PS Im not very computer literate

Get rid of Norton, it's utter cr*p, and replace with AVG "free" - then download Picasa (it'll do whatever you need) - you've got a trojan (the "prize" thingummyjiggler) which I'm sure other Windoze users will tell you how to get rid of - shows just how useless Norton is!

Thay warned my off Photoshop because they said something like - that if a photo was downloaded into Photoshop it then couldnt be read by Nikon software in the future so I would in effect be locked in to photoshop forever.

I feel they weren't telling you the whole story for some reason. If you shoot in Nikon Raw you would be able to download a plugin which would allow you to process the raw file and then save it in the format of your choice.

If you shoot JPEG then any software will process it.

People who shoot in raw normally keep the raw file unaltered as a "digital Negative" to come back to if you want a copy processed differently and to avoid the quality degrading with multiple saves of a lossy format like JPEG.

Thanks for the information.

Get rid of Norton, it's utter cr*p, and replace with AVG "free"
You'll probably need to search for Norton uninstall software first, because it's quite tenacious.

AVG is fine, get the free version. You can set it to scan whenever you want etc, same as any of the expensive ones.
http://free.avg.com/gb-en/download

You need the top link in the lower half of the page if you're using Windows

Latest posts

Back